Freezing Cake Layers

Baking By Cheljo Updated 10 Oct 2018 , 10:34pm by bubs1stbirthday

Cheljo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cheljo Posted 10 Oct 2018 , 6:31pm
post #1 of 9

How do I freeze  cake layers from today to Friday? I usually don't freeze my cake layers but I am baking early due to hurricane Michael coming (which is supposed to be a tropical storm by the time it gets here) in case our lights go out it's for my nieces party Saturday & I don't want her to not have a cake if the lights go out so I'm  baking early. Thank you in advance! God Bless you all!

8 replies
Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 10 Oct 2018 , 6:48pm
post #2 of 9

Bake your cakes and let them cool.  Then wrap them well in plastic wrap and then stick them in ziploc type freezer bags and throw them in the freezer.  The night before or even the morning of the day you plan to put your cake together get them out of the freezer (keep them wrapped) and let them thaw on the counter.  It doesn't take cake layers a long time to thaw.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 10 Oct 2018 , 6:55pm
post #3 of 9

I do exactly the same as Freckles0829, except I wrap them in a layer of foil instead of the Ziploc bag.  If you want to, and it will save you even more time, you can fill, stack and crumb coat the cake before freezing.  If the cake is going to be buttercream, you can even final ice prior to freezing.  If you choose to stack and crumb coat or finish frost, set the whole cake in the freezer until it sets up enough to wrap in plastic wrap and foil without damaging the icing.  

Hope this helps.  Keep safe! 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 10 Oct 2018 , 7:46pm
post #4 of 9

Sandra said:  ....... If you want to, and it will save you even more time, you can fill, stack and crumb coat the cake before freezing....

Definitely this!  If the final icing on this cake is not b'cream you can do at least this much.  If it is a b'cream creation you really could complete the whole this - decorations and all (depending on what the decos are) and fz.  Put 2 large sheets of plastic wrap on a board in a + fashion, place the completed cake on and fz for an hour or two, remove from fzr and wrap up in the plastic wrap, put into either the foil or plastic bag and you are ready to go:) 

Good Luck w/Michael!   I hear it's really BAD :(  Do as much ahead on this creation as you can so your neice is not disappointed even though the weather is bad :)

Cheljo Posted 10 Oct 2018 , 9:11pm
post #5 of 9

Thank yall so much!

post #6 of 9

Thank yall so much!

post #7 of 9

Thank yall so much!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 10 Oct 2018 , 9:43pm
post #8 of 9

I think most people use freckles method which is great -- big bakeries do that too -- but if you do sandra's and lynne's method which is my method too -- you get all the messy stuff out of the way -- so when you pull them out of the freezer -- all you have to do is final ice and decorate -- no leveling cakes and schlepping icing and crumbs and cake boards all over the kitchen kwim? and it's a different level of thinking too -- all the construction decisions have been made -- you are free to let the brain go on the fun part -- it really works well

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 10 Oct 2018 , 10:34pm
post #9 of 9

If you are using either SMBC or Ganache as your final coat you can also freeze those too, when I have done that I just freeze them then wrap with gladwrap a few times, to defrost I unwrap straight out of the freezer and defrost them in a cardboard box.

To freeze my cakes without any icing/filling it looks like I am in the minority but I just thrice wrap my cakes with gladwrap then freeze on a hard flat surface (platter etc). 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%