Trying To Get Burgundy Fondant

Baking By Tempi Updated 8 Oct 2018 , 1:07am by SandraSmiley

Tempi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tempi Posted 6 Oct 2018 , 10:30pm
post #1 of 8

I am trying to color my MMF burgundy using the Americolor.  I have added and added and still end up with a mauve color.  I let set for a while (over an hour now) to see if the color would darken and it's still the same.  Any ideas or suggestions?  I need it for a Redskins cake tomorrow and I don't know how to get the burgundy.  TIA!Trying To Get Burgundy Fondant

7 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 6 Oct 2018 , 11:34pm
post #2 of 8

The only way I know to get a dark color fondant, starting white, is to add a ton of color.  No way would it ever darken that much.  I prefer to buy dark colors because trying to make it is so messy and so much color is required.

Tempi Posted 6 Oct 2018 , 11:51pm
post #3 of 8

I agree! I think I finally achieved something close.  The Americolor "burgundy" is not.  I added red, brown and blue and ended up with something suitable.  I will offer alternative options next time to a burgundy covered cake for sure!

SandraSmiley Posted 7 Oct 2018 , 12:21am
post #4 of 8

Happy you found something that works.  I use Wilton gel colors for burgundy, but mostly for coloring gum paste for roses.  Like I said, consider buying the fondant already colored, if you must have a dark color.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 Oct 2018 , 8:39pm
post #5 of 8

I'm not sure about fondant but when trying to get dark colors in b'cream it takes overnight or a similar amount of time for the color to deepen what much.   I hope that the color y ou finely are satisfied with does not/has not darkened more than you like.

Tempi Posted 8 Oct 2018 , 12:58am
post #6 of 8

I think this turned out well - this is next day (today)Trying To Get Burgundy Fondant

Tempi Posted 8 Oct 2018 , 1:06am
post #7 of 8

Due to the extra coloring, the fondant did get soft and wasn't as smooth and pliable as normal, but I made it work.. thank goodness!  Lessons learned on that one.

SandraSmiley Posted 8 Oct 2018 , 1:07am
post #8 of 8

It looks great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%