Clean Base For The Top Tiers Without Using Ribbons.

Decorating By Minileo Updated 25 Sep 2018 , 11:07pm by Minileo

Minileo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minileo Posted 24 Sep 2018 , 7:20am
post #1 of 12

Hello ladies

I have a 2 tier (8" & 10") SMBC covered unicorn cake due this coming weekend and needed your advice over stacking and cutting the cake board of top tier. I usually cover my cakes with fondant, cut the excess cake board & finally use ribbons to hide that ugly cake board which shows off after cutting the excess when stacking on bottom tier.
I really want to ditch the ribbon part (Like in the picture which is not mine) without sacrificing the clean & smooth base for my top tiers. Please suggest me the right order & process to fill, stack, cover, cutting the cake board etc for both buttercream & fondant cakes. Thank you so much.

Clean Base For The Top Tiers Without Using Ribbons.

11 replies
bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 24 Sep 2018 , 1:31pm
post #2 of 12

The trick is to use an acrylic board under your cake board that is slightly larger than your cake board and another matching acrylic on top, you then ice your cake upside down to the size of the acrylic boards, not your cake board, set the cake firm in the fridge, remove your bottom acrylic then flip it back right way round on to your cake/display board being extra careful not to pull the edge icing away from the cake then remove your top acrylic.

While both your acrylics are on you can flip your cake right way round to apply any fondant décor etc that will hold well before flipping back over to remove the base acrylic board.

Doing this means your icing extends slightly further than your cake board and also goes to the same level of the base of your cake board so the board will no longer be seen.

Minileo Posted 24 Sep 2018 , 3:16pm
post #3 of 12

Thanks bubs1stbirthday, I have seen several videos of acrylic flip over method. Unfortunately I don't have any acrylic circle and there is no time ordering one. Can you please suggest any other method. Thank you so much for your input. 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 Sep 2018 , 9:09pm
post #4 of 12

It should be an easy thing to use a cake board smaller than your cake.  Like if the cake is an 8" round put it on a 7" board.  That idea works for any size cake. 

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 24 Sep 2018 , 11:09pm
post #5 of 12

If you are careful you can just ice your cake a to where you can't see your board, then when you stack just touch up the edge with a piping bag once you stack the cake.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 24 Sep 2018 , 11:33pm
post #6 of 12

Like Lynne said, use a cake board which is slightly smaller than the cake.  Once you set the tier in place, you can pipe a tiny line of frosting around the seam where the two tiers come together and blend it in with a dampened finger or small spatula (I like the finger method).

Minileo Posted 24 Sep 2018 , 11:40pm
post #7 of 12

@Kakeladi so if I am using smaller or same cake board  I need to cover the exposed sides of the cake board with the frosting and fill any seam with frosting like Bubs1stbirthday & Sandrasmiley suggested, right? Thank you so much everyone !

SandraSmiley Posted 25 Sep 2018 , 12:16am
post #8 of 12

Minileo, I don't think kakeladi will be able to reply before tomorrow, so I will try and answer.  When you use a cake board that is slightly smaller than your cake, when you frost the cake, it board just disappears underneath the cake.  As bubs1stbirthday said, chill the cake well and transfer carefully to stack.  Any damage to the edge of the frosting can be repaired with a spatula or, as I said before, I like to pipe a very small line of frosting at the base of the tier and blend it in with a dampened finger and the seam between the two tiers completely disappears.  Hope that clarifies.

Minileo Posted 25 Sep 2018 , 12:48am
post #9 of 12

Thank you so much SandraSmiley, you have cleared all my doubts at once. You are so kind & sweet, thanks again :) 

SandraSmiley Posted 25 Sep 2018 , 1:03am
post #10 of 12

You are very welcome, Minileo.  While she is far, far more experienced and knowledgable than I, I believe kakeladi only has access to a computer during the day.  I am sure she will respond tomorrow.

Good luck to you!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 Sep 2018 , 10:53pm
post #11 of 12

Thanks Sandra for helping straighten that out :)  You're right - I only get 2 hrs a day to be on-line, and some days none at all :(  

Minileo Posted 25 Sep 2018 , 11:07pm
post #12 of 12

Kakeladi thank you so much for taking time out for newbie like us :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%