Please Help, Cannot Get Royal Icing Dark Brown Enough

Decorating By FDT79 Updated 23 Sep 2018 , 12:08pm by Scampbell731

FDT79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FDT79 Posted 22 Sep 2018 , 10:58am
post #1 of 9

Hi I'm stuck in Australia [limited purchase options where I am] & have ordered a warm brown gel mistakenly instead of what I guess should've been a chocolate brown. I've got little time left & am trying to figure out how to make royal icing as dark brown as possible to put gumpaste pieces together to make a garden shed. Does anyone have any advice? No matter how much brown gel I put in it's clearly not getting darker & I figure I couldn't add cocoa powder as the oil would denigrate the royal icing consistency? As I need it as a 'glue'. Thanks if anyone can help.

8 replies
bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 22 Sep 2018 , 12:35pm
post #2 of 9

I am not sure about the RI but if you can get some cheap compound chocolate and the colour is ok for what you want to do then I would use that instead, it will set quickly and solid as a rock.

bubs1stbirthday Posted 22 Sep 2018 , 12:37pm
post #3 of 9

P.S Stuck in Australia...…….. you poor thing...….. how terrible for you. Hope the drop bears don't bother you and the nasty Aussies keep their distance and don't give you Aussie cooties ;-) 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 22 Sep 2018 , 2:25pm
post #4 of 9

Haha, bubs1stbirthday, I was thinking I wouldn't mind being "stuck" in Australia for a while, even if it is not optimum for cake decorating supplies.

You could add a small amount of black to darken the color a bit.  You could also wait until it hardens completely, then paint it with a mixture of gel or powdered color and alcohol to intensify the color. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 22 Sep 2018 , 4:46pm
post #5 of 9

cocoa has no oil in it -- I'd use that -- might have to add a little water

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 22 Sep 2018 , 7:47pm
post #6 of 9

I always add cocoa powder to RI when I'm making the flavor chocolate, with no adverse effects. 

WYBee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WYBee Posted 23 Sep 2018 , 12:57am
post #7 of 9

A tiny dab of black will darken the brown. Be careful though because it could possibly make the brown look dirty

bubs1stbirthday Posted 23 Sep 2018 , 6:48am
post #8 of 9

Lol, Sandra, I am pretty sure that we keep up reasonably well with the cake market over here, just a matter of knowing where to look :-) 

Scampbell731 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Scampbell731 Posted 23 Sep 2018 , 12:08pm
post #9 of 9

A tiny bit of blue and orange OR green and red can help.  I don't use the brown gel as much any more because I think it is too orange at times.  If I do use it, I will add a little bit of blue to get a more "true" brown and then go from there, adjusting after it sits and the color develops, you will be able to see if it needs more blue or orange.     If I am making brown fondant I will start with blue, orange, green or red and add it's complimentary color to get to the brown I like.  Purple and yellow also make brown.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%