Looking For Sizing Help Please

Decorating By Macpac09 Updated 23 Sep 2018 , 8:15pm by kakeladi

Macpac09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Macpac09 Posted 17 Sep 2018 , 11:28pm
post #1 of 11

Hello! 

I haven’t posted in a while- and just to say, I have had problems in the past replying to people in my posts- so I apologize in advance. 

I would like to attempt one of those spiral cakes for a friends birthday this weekend, 30 people rsvp’d. 

Looking for opinions in terms of sizing. I was thinking 6inch on the top layers and the bottom 9inch. I have seen some examples here on CC and on other web searches where people did 8inch top and 10inch bottom. 

In terms of having enough for people to eat, I think I would be able to do the 6/9 combination, maybe like 6inch high, but I don’t know if that would be too small for decorating. I wanted to do piano keys as the spiral up, and the round portion on the top as a drum with drumsticks on top. Would this be too small for those details? 

I hope this made sense and I explained myself properly. I welcome any feedback, I am totally winging this thing- no professional here! Ha! 

Thank you!!

10 replies
GIGGLEBOX2014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GIGGLEBOX2014 Posted 18 Sep 2018 , 6:22am
post #2 of 11

I am behind the times obviousy.... What is a spiral cake? lol. Do you have a photo of what you are speaking of?

Macpac09 Posted 18 Sep 2018 , 6:56pm
post #3 of 11

I can finally respond! Here are a couple examples of what I am talking about. Looking For Sizing Help PleaseLooking For Sizing Help Please

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 18 Sep 2018 , 9:35pm
post #4 of 11

It appears to me that the 9" and 6" would give you plenty of room for the keys.  The smaller, top cake is set to the back of the first tier, so you would have a 3" platform for the keys.

Macpac09 Posted 18 Sep 2018 , 10:24pm
post #5 of 11

Thanks! Do you think the 6inch top cake would be big enough to make it look like a drum? My friend plays piano and drums and I wanted to try to combine the two- hopefully I can execute and it doesn’t look too weird. 

I appreciate your feedback! 

SandraSmiley Posted 18 Sep 2018 , 10:53pm
post #6 of 11

Yes, I definitely think you could make a 6" tier look like a drum.  Very cute idea!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Sep 2018 , 8:09pm
post #7 of 11

One thing to think about....6"x4" will not look much like a drum.... to tall. I suggest using just 1 1/2 layers so the cake is just 3" tall. 

GIGGLEBOX2014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GIGGLEBOX2014 Posted 22 Sep 2018 , 3:46am
post #8 of 11

How neat! It reminds me of my construction cake that I "built" a road in the side traveling up to the top tier. Pretty neat! Now I'm gonna have to google some of these spiral designs. But I ditto Sandra and kakeladi! Good luck! Can't wait to see what you create!

Macpac09 Posted 22 Sep 2018 , 8:53pm
post #9 of 11

Thank you everyone for your help! I wanted to share how it turned out.  I ended up doing 8in and 10inch. My husband thought 6 would be too small- visually.  Not bad for “winging” it. Haha. 

Looking For Sizing Help Please

SandraSmiley Posted 22 Sep 2018 , 10:38pm
post #10 of 11

Beautiful job!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Sep 2018 , 8:15pm
post #11 of 11

It sure turned out nice! :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%