Need Ideas For A Realtree Camo Design

Decorating By weluvpiggies Updated 8 Sep 2018 , 11:54am by -K8memphis

weluvpiggies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weluvpiggies Posted 7 Sep 2018 , 1:14pm
post #1 of 5

HI, I'm thinking of making a cake of my son's realtree hat.  It's that real woodsy looking camo design.  I'm not confident at all at the thought of hand painting that kind of detail and was thinking about frosting sheets.

Would frosting sheets conform to the roundness of a hat shape?  If not, what do you recommend?

Do you know where I can find the best looking realtree camo frosting sheets or of another option?  I've seen them on Amazon, but the reviews say they look terrible.

Thanks!

4 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 Sep 2018 , 2:40pm
post #2 of 5

i think you could get there with the sheets if you can find some good ones because it's such a helter skelter design -- and you would have to buy additional sheets for the overlap -- not sure what kind of hat or what size but i would cut the sheets to conform as best a possible  and use the extra bits to fill in where necessary -- and i'd go with icing images dot com -- they are awesome

-K8memphis Posted 7 Sep 2018 , 2:42pm
post #3 of 5

like if it's a baseball cap -- you could use a pattern like this:

https://goo.gl/images/73LnNi

or if it's another style google that and find a pattern -- you got this!

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 7 Sep 2018 , 8:43pm
post #4 of 5

When I made camo, i colored several balls of fondant different shades of green and rolled each into sheets.  I cut out shapes and fit them together, into a camo pattern I liked,  then I rolled out the whole thing a bit more so it was thinner and the pieces held together.  Alternatively you could just roll across a bunch of little balls of different color fondant but the pattern would be more random.  I think fondant would be easiest to drape over a hat shape, or most any shape cake.   You can experiment with how big or small to make the individual pieces/pattern, and could probably get fairly detailed if you wanted to.  I just googled fondant camo cakes and came up with tons of pictures and tutorials.  HTH.  

-K8memphis Posted 8 Sep 2018 , 11:54am
post #5 of 5

the pattern has trees and sticks and leaves in it too

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%