Transport Double Barrel Cake

Baking By Amyorlando12 Updated 6 Sep 2018 , 2:48am by -K8memphis

Amyorlando12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amyorlando12 Posted 4 Sep 2018 , 2:52am
post #1 of 5

Hi all,

So I have a bride that wants 3, 6 inch round double barrel cakes with semi naked buttercream. I have already done 2 practice runs and the first fell over on the way to my destination and the second did not fall over but seemed wayyyy too wobbly.

For tranport I attatched a central dowel into the cake board and placed 3 layers down, then I doweled the cake and frosted. For the other 3 layers I did the same thing minus the central dowel. When I arrived at my destination I put the cake together with a cake bored in between the 3 separate layered sections and iced it. The problem I had was that the cake didnt seem too stable.

My question is what is the best way to construct/tranport this cake?

Any feedback would be great!!

4 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Sep 2018 , 4:14pm
post #2 of 5

"3, 6 inch round double barrel cakes" to me this means -- cakes that are six inches in diameter -- three of those that are each eight inches tall -- but later you say " and placed 3 layers down.... For the other 3 layers I did the same thing " so that sounds like six layers of cake total which is -- i don't know -- too confusing -- tell me the dimensions again, please?

so layers are individual layers of cake within a tier -- tiers are typically four inches tall -- double barrel usually means an eight inch tall tier that looks as one but is actually two tiers the same diameter -- in this case six inches in diameter --

sorry i can't figure this out --

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 Sep 2018 , 8:06pm
post #3 of 5

Sorry - not only k8 can't figure it out - neither can I.  Mainly it sounds liike you  do not have a wide enough base to support the tall, narrow/thin tower of cake.  Yes, it's going to be wobbly if it's only 6" wide and 6" or 8" or more tall!

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 6 Sep 2018 , 12:03am
post #4 of 5

The Eagle Scout cake I delivered weekend before last has a 6" double barrel tier on top.  I transported it separate from the other two tiers, in it's own box, but it was as stable as could be.  I had straws in the bottom half to support the top half, but no central dowel.  It was very straight and level, however, and I did transport it in a homemade cooler box.  I used kakeladi's Original WASC recipe and it is quite sturdy.

https://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/7445/the-original-wasc-cake-recipe

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 Sep 2018 , 2:48am
post #5 of 5

i wrote a whole reply -- where did it go? i will answer again tomorrow -- 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%