Sticking Edible Balls Onto Fondant

Baking By yummiemummie Updated 27 Aug 2018 , 12:20pm by jchuck

yummiemummie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummiemummie Posted 24 Aug 2018 , 1:04pm
post #1 of 13

Hi can someone hep me, I need to make a wedding cake, with a lot of silver edible balls to be stuck onto fondant from bottom of tier to middle of cake, would love it if someone could advice.Sticking Edible Balls Onto Fondant

12 replies
Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 24 Aug 2018 , 1:13pm
post #2 of 13

I would use piping gel to get the balls to stick.  Then I would hold the cake over a large pan filled with the edible balls and just take handfuls and press them into the sides of the cake to get the majority of the area covered.  Then you can go in with tweezers or your fingers to better refine the edges and placement of additional balls.

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 24 Aug 2018 , 1:15pm
post #3 of 13

This is a looooot of work. You would have to apply piping gel and place each ball individually with tweezers..uggg. I have mold that mimics this look. If done in grey fondant, once applied can be painted silver. Then you could add individual silver balls around the mold and on the cake to achieve the look you want. Don’t know how soon you are doing this cake, as it took a month or more before I received my mold in the mail.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 Aug 2018 , 9:13pm
post #5 of 13

Actually, those silver balls (dragees) are really NOT edible.  They are coated with silver - a heavy metal that is NOT passed from the body and can add up over time to  cause serious illness .  I'd suggest using the mold mentioned or make many, many balls of fondant in grey, then spray with edible silver color. 

jchuck Posted 24 Aug 2018 , 11:42pm
post #6 of 13

Your correct Kate. I'm able to buy small coloured candy balls from a Bulk store. Completely edible. I buy the white, and I can colour them anything I want. 

whatthedogate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whatthedogate Posted 25 Aug 2018 , 4:10am
post #7 of 13

For the individual balls use a ball tool to make a divet, apply some piping gel with a paint brush and then apply using tweezers.i got a pair with plastic coated tips. You can make your own balls with balls of gumpaste/fondant. Then swirl in a container with some dust.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 Aug 2018 , 7:32pm
post #8 of 13

Tip for making your own balls:   Roll out fondant so it is level - not too thin but not more than about 1/4" thick.  Cut with the small end of any round tip.  If you lightly dust that rolled out piece w/cornstarch they will not stick together as you cut, cut, cut until the tip is full.  Now roll them in you hand.  They will all be the same size.  Make bigger balls by cutting with a larger round tip (#2 through 12).   Keep a 'sack of 1/2 cornstarch/ 1/2powdered tied into a square of tulle) on hand for dusting your counter for rolling out fondant etc.  Keep a stack of about 6-8 paper towels to lay the rolled balls on so they don't get a flat side when drying.   Once dried, they can be sprayed any color wanted.  For silver I'd make a light grey fondant, then spray or paint with silver dust.    I think it was Earlene Moore who taught us that trick :)    Of course, that was way back in the 'olden days' (1990s?) before molds became available/popular. 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 26 Aug 2018 , 11:52pm
post #9 of 13

I have that mold, June, and it is so beautiful.  Of course, I've never made a cake with it, since I make very few decorated cakes, but I have tried it out and it works well.

The pearls on the cake pictured seem to me to be hand rolled.  They do not appear perfect enough to be purchased beads.  I use edible glue made from Tylose and water (a thick consistency) for applying pearls and if you are really serious about this type design, the new Drageekiss is a God send!

SandraSmiley Posted 26 Aug 2018 , 11:53pm
post #10 of 13

Oh, and I agree with whatthedogate.  Making an indention with a ball tool for the pearl really helps with the placement and getting them to stick.

jchuck Posted 27 Aug 2018 , 12:38am
post #11 of 13

Sandra, I used the pearl mold on my hammered copper cake. I didn’t put any lustre dust or shine on the pearls.

https://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/3408833/hammered-copper

SandraSmiley Posted 27 Aug 2018 , 3:00am
post #12 of 13

I never even realized it was the same mold!  I think I was reading them as grapes, ha.

jchuck Posted 27 Aug 2018 , 12:20pm
post #13 of 13

Well, it does look a little like grapes.  That’s ok too. Still was easier making using the mold..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%