How Much Would You Charge For This??

Business By Tempi Updated 21 Sep 2018 , 8:48pm by kandyslife

Tempi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tempi Posted 21 Aug 2018 , 12:11am
post #1 of 10

I had a potential client forward this pic and asked for a price for 6" carrot cake and dozen cupcakes half choc, half vanilla.  What would you charge? 

How Much Would You Charge For This??

9 replies
AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 21 Aug 2018 , 12:35am
post #2 of 10

$3974

What we would charge may not be what you should charge...

You really need to price out all your ingredients, your time, your utilities, rent, etc... Then figure out your costs...

We cannot do that for you...

whatthedogate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whatthedogate Posted 21 Aug 2018 , 2:01am
post #3 of 10

That cake and the cupcakes are simple.  It's all of those details and decorations.  Does she want all those?  I would think about how long you think it would take you to make all the decorations/details and multiply by your hourly rate and then add on the cost of ingredients which probably won't be too much.

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 21 Aug 2018 , 2:22am
post #4 of 10

Definitely agree with the other comments. What I can charge where I live, may be higher or lower than what you could charge in your area. Having your pricing in order is an important step before taking orders. Where I live, I can get $3.50 per plain, simple swirled cupcake. LmFondant decoration is an added cost. Then for the cake, the bunny, carrots, and bow....extra. How do you usually price out your orders?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Aug 2018 , 10:55pm
post #5 of 10

It is impossible to give you a real definate idea of how much to charge.  You don't give us a clue where you live, your skill level, how much your ingredients, packaging, insurance, and utilities - along woth many other things- cost you.  All of that and more is incorporated in pricing.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Aug 2018 , 10:56pm
post #6 of 10

Also, making only 6 choco and 6 vanilla cupcakes is labor intensive.   What will you do with the remaining batter since you only need 6 and the batter most likely will make 24.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 22 Aug 2018 , 12:32pm
post #7 of 10

small orders are about as much time as larger orders -- so they fall under your minimum amount price so it should be about $50 to $100 to start -- because some people will ask how much something costs -- and you tell them -- then they go i only need eleven and three quarter servings -- how much is that -- and it just gets ridiculous -- where they want a sculpture to feed five people -- so having a minimum amount per order saves you from that insanity --

***and guys she's only asking to get an idea of what You would charge wherever you are -- you could say that if you wanted -- if you don't that's fine but she's just asking what you would charge -- i don't know why so many people have to post and say " we won't tell you" -- weird -- it's like some kind of top secret homeland security issue -- >whispering, looking around furtively< "we cahn't tell you or weh'l disintegrahte" scream

tempi -- i would charge $150 for that in the picture with the stand and all -- probably around a hundred for the order you  got -- i would suggest that you determine the highest priced brick and mortar bakery near you and charge as much or more  -- then you will be building the best clientelle from the beginning -- if you cheapen your prices to get customers now -- when you raise prices later you will lose them -- 

and this is not the industry to get rich at any speed, quick or painfully slow -- and you'll probably barely break even for a long long time -- it's a losing prospect in most cases -- you need a hook like have a lunch counter as well or a gift shop or balloons or something -- look at perkins restaurants with the bakeries or the cheesecake factory -- no one would give them a second thought if they weren't also full fledged restaurants -- dunkin donuts now has sandwiches and coffee etc. -- 

you could do sugar free, gluten free, some kind of line of product like that -- no offense but just because you can bake does not a business make -- the bakery business has been thoroughly routed -- there are no trade secrets ...except what other people on cc would charge -- hahahaha

Pucci Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pucci Cakes Posted 21 Sep 2018 , 5:41am
post #8 of 10

Between $120 - 150 for the cake and $3 - $3.50 per cupcakes 

Pucci Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pucci Cakes Posted 21 Sep 2018 , 5:41am
post #9 of 10

Between $120 - 150 for the cake and $3 - $3.50 per cupcakes 

kandyslife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandyslife Posted 21 Sep 2018 , 8:48pm
post #10 of 10

Wow! you guys are lucky to be able to charge that much! Over here the bakeries set such a low pricing for cakes, it's impossible to charge much higher because everyone would just go order from the bakery and assume that you are trying to rip them off lol. People assume that it's just cake and that no hard work or effort is put into the cakes, and it is not necessary for it to be this expensive.

I'd be able to get away with charging this cake for maximum 66$, and even then the customer would be complaining that it is too expensive. That's why i decided not to make small cakes anymore. Bakeries would charge 50$ for this cake but they would make less decorations and make it more simple and easy. They use sponge cake and some weird filling, but i can't wrap my finger around what they are using to be able to charge so low for cakes. because butter and cake ingredients are quite expensive!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%