Weight Of Gum Paste Flowers

Decorating By juljenki Updated 8 Sep 2018 , 4:38pm by juljenki

juljenki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juljenki Posted 19 Aug 2018 , 12:11am
post #1 of 11

I making gum paste peonies for my grandsons wedding in Nov. My question is the weight of these flowers. They are lg flowers and seem to be quite heavy. I’m putting them on the top of a 6”layer . The cake is a 10” 8” and flowers on the top layer 6””. Do I need to do anything special for the weight of these flowers. There will probably be 2 lg peonies 2/3 smaller roses and maybe some small little dogwood bundles. Don’t want the top layer to collapse. I thought I would put a cake board on that 6” layer but should I put in any dowels too??  This cake is getting intense.

10 replies
me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 19 Aug 2018 , 12:59am
post #2 of 11

If you're worried about the weight, chuck a few dowels in. It certainly can't hurt and will give you peace of mind   :)

juljenki Posted 19 Aug 2018 , 1:24am
post #3 of 11

Thanks that’s what I’m thinking

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Aug 2018 , 10:13pm
post #4 of 11

Yes, put the flowers on a 4 or 5" circle of fondant or gp (well dried)  with 3 straws in a triangle formation which will  help hold them.

juljenki Posted 20 Aug 2018 , 1:44am
post #5 of 11

Thanks I’ll be doing that. Was really concerned about the weight of these flowers. Love everyone here helping me! You guys Rock!!!

juljenki Posted 20 Aug 2018 , 1:44am
post #6 of 11

Thanks I’ll be doing that. Was really concerned about the weight of these flowers. Love everyone here helping me! You guys Rock!!!

juljenki Posted 8 Sep 2018 , 2:31pm
post #7 of 11

I was just re-reading this post on the weight of the flowers on a wedding cake. Would it make a difference if I use a cake board wth dowels or straws to support or a circle of fondant or gm ?I was thinking the cake board would be easier 

juljenki Posted 8 Sep 2018 , 2:31pm
post #8 of 11

I was just re-reading this post on the weight of the flowers on a wedding cake. Would it make a difference if I use a cake board wth dowels or straws to support or a circle of fondant or gm ?I was thinking the cake board would be easier 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 8 Sep 2018 , 4:33pm
post #9 of 11

I think the cake board would be just as good as the fondant circle.  You could even cover the board with fondant, if you don't want to wait for the fondant to dry.

juljenki Posted 8 Sep 2018 , 4:38pm
post #10 of 11

Thanks once again for the help . You guys are awesome!!

juljenki Posted 8 Sep 2018 , 4:38pm
post #11 of 11

Thanks once again for the help . You guys are awesome!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%