Wedding Cake Fillings

Decorating By juljenki Updated 18 Aug 2018 , 12:31am by juljenki

juljenki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juljenki Posted 14 Aug 2018 , 6:46pm
post #1 of 11

I am baking a wedding cake for a Nov wedding. It will be a 10” tortes a 8” tortes and a 6” torted . My question is the bottom 10” torted layer will be almond cake and I want to fill it with a raspberry purée second layer8” torted will be lemon flavored filled with lemon curd not sure about the top 6” layer yet. Do you think these fillings will be ok and not ooze out or soak into the cake? I will make a dam and probably spread a light layer of buttercream on the cake before Putting on the filling. Also will I have any issues stacking these cakes with these kind of fillings. I of course will put in dowels and will stack the cakes at the venue. I will be filling and frosting the cakes the day before. Sorry for do many questions but this cake is for my grandsons wedding and has to be perfect. Thanks in advance I sincerely appreciate and value your feedback.

10 replies
LindsayH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindsayH Posted 14 Aug 2018 , 9:46pm
post #2 of 11

The stability of the stacking comes down to the doweling. The weight of the upper tiers should be resting entirely on the dowels, not on the cake itself. Don't forget to use cake boards in between the tiers to rest on the dowels. 

As long as the fillings are set enough and not too liquidy, they should be fine. Make a dam of frosting for sure. I don't usually put a layer of buttercream underneath, but I'm not sure it would hurt anything, as long as the dam is still big enough to hold in the fruit. You have a couple of months, still. If I were you I would bake a small test cake to make sure the textures and consistency are good. 

Good luck!

juljenki Posted 14 Aug 2018 , 10:02pm
post #3 of 11

Thanks yes I know the dowels are holding top layers up so will Do enough of them. Was just worried if with the cake layers being torted with soft but firm filling would have an effect on the stability of the cake. I’m thinking all will be ok.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 Aug 2018 , 10:02pm
post #4 of 11

As Lindsay said, as long as the fillings are on the thicker size you should be fine.  For the raspberry fill, you could use a good quailty/brand of jam - either alone or mixed into b'cream.  Also there are 'sleeves' of filling available at cake supply shops that are very good and just the right consistency.  I've never used curds so not sure about that but from what I've seen on here and other sites that sould not be a problem w/it either, especially if you use fondant to ice the cakes. 

juljenki Posted 16 Aug 2018 , 11:13pm
post #5 of 11

I found a recipe for a raspberry filling which is quite thick so I think that should be good. My lemon curd is home made and also very thick. I was just concerned about the stability. Of course will dam before filling and crumb coat and I’ll be using a crusting buttercream. This has to be perfect as it’s for my grandsons wedding. Thanks everyone for your help.

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 17 Aug 2018 , 12:11am
post #6 of 11

Personally I always mix my lemon curd/jams/purees etc in to SMBC - so yummy and the texture is like eating silk but it is far sturdier than curd/jams/purees alone. 

I will admit I don't make on large scales but I do make them to be sturdy and taste great and have no doubt that they would scale up just fine.

whatthedogate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whatthedogate Posted 17 Aug 2018 , 2:03am
post #7 of 11

Don't overfill the curd and puree

juljenki Posted 17 Aug 2018 , 2:48am
post #8 of 11
cutiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiger Posted 17 Aug 2018 , 12:36pm
post #9 of 11

I use this tip and it works every time.  Use the buttercream method he describes.  Hope it helps!

https://www.globalsugarart.com/buttercream-basics-icing-assembling-a-tiered-buttercream-cake-video-inspiration.html

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Aug 2018 , 2:19pm
post #10 of 11

you have to keep the cake refrigerated of course

juljenki Posted 18 Aug 2018 , 12:31am
post #11 of 11

Yes of course I did know that but thanks for the reminder.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%