Fondant Or Royal Icing On Jello?

Decorating By Englishable Updated 11 Aug 2018 , 12:01pm by jchuck

Englishable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Englishable Posted 8 Aug 2018 , 7:30pm
post #1 of 22

For my daughter's first birthday party, I want to make some decorated Jello cups. If I make flowers to set on top of the firm Jello (after it's been refrigerated, probably just before serving), would it be better to make them out of fondant or royal icing? I'm planning on doing the flowers in advance so they have time to dry out and harden, and I won't be setting them on top of the Jello until right before the party starts next Saturday. Thoughts?

Thanks!

21 replies
me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 9 Aug 2018 , 12:03pm
post #2 of 22

Cool idea and I'm sorry but I have no idea what would work best! But I'm looking forward to hearing about what you end up doing and seeing the pics! My gut feeling is to go with a stiff royal icing but I am not sure at all! Have you got time to do a practice run?

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 9 Aug 2018 , 12:26pm
post #3 of 22

Both royal icing and fondant once exposed to any dampness for any length of time will start to deteriorate. Whatever you decide to use to make the flowers,  I wouldn’t lay them directly on the jello.  I would  get fancy cocktail sticks, I’d attach the flowers to them with royal icing, then pop the cocktail sticks into the jello so there up and away. 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 9 Aug 2018 , 3:14pm
post #4 of 22

Good idea, June!  Personally, I would much rather eat royal icing than fondant.

jchuck Posted 9 Aug 2018 , 4:11pm
post #5 of 22

And I’d rather eat fondant!!

SandraSmiley Posted 9 Aug 2018 , 6:48pm
post #6 of 22

LOL - thinking about our preferences, June, I had a brilliant idea!  Instead of royal icing or fondant, why not make your flowers out of modeling chocolate?!  It works wonderfully, especially for making beautiful little roses, and tastes delicious AND it does not mind moisture!  You could place your flowers on the jello at any time without worry.

jchuck Posted 9 Aug 2018 , 7:50pm
post #7 of 22

Good idea...if Englishable has the time to make it.

me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 9 Aug 2018 , 10:19pm
post #8 of 22

Modelling chocolate!! Of course!!!!

SandraSmiley Posted 9 Aug 2018 , 10:30pm
post #9 of 22

I can, seriously, make a batch of modeling chocolate in less than 10 minutes.  Here's the recipe and tutorial.

https://www.cakecentral.com/tutorial/61895/shawna-mcgreevy-foolproof-modeling-chocolate-tutorial

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 9 Aug 2018 , 10:35pm
post #10 of 22

i think a marshmallow fondant flower -- fondant flavored with something like raspberry or something -- i'm not a fan of chocolate and jello -- it would be the best match as far as the possible condensation but i just can not marry the two flavors -- but if it's for small girls with big sugar tooths -- but i think strawberries or blueberries on top would be prettier -- slice the strawberries so they make heart shapes -- you could use kiwis, or that fruit that looks all polka doted -- can't remember the name of it-- cinnamon apple slices --

put a few real or silk flowers around your serving trays -- same effect 

best to you

SandraSmiley Posted 9 Aug 2018 , 10:38pm
post #11 of 22

As to flavor, I would use white modeling chocolate to make the flowers and the candy melts just have a mild, vanilla flavor.  I totally agree that the fruit would be prettier and a lot more tasty.

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 10 Aug 2018 , 3:36am
post #12 of 22

Or use a candy melt wafer as the base and decorate with royal to make the flower. The candy melt will protect the royal from dampness and dissolving. 

-K8memphis Posted 10 Aug 2018 , 10:12am
post #13 of 22

dragon fruit!

-K8memphis Posted 10 Aug 2018 , 11:45am
post #14 of 22

you could cut out blossoms of kiwi and dragon fruit too -- apples too -- brush with pineapple juice instead of lemon to keep from darkening

SandraSmiley Posted 10 Aug 2018 , 1:14pm
post #15 of 22

johnson60fus, the candy melt wafer as a base is brilliant!

jchuck Posted 10 Aug 2018 , 8:01pm
post #16 of 22

Ha Ha guys...we’ve all come up with some great ideas. But the most important person, Enhlishable, hasn’t acknowledged our suggestions/posts. Perhaps Englishable has had problems logging onto CC, or is just very busy preparing for her daughter’s birthday party.  Seeing as the party is tomorrow, I’m guessing Englishable is gonna do her own thing with the jello...

SandraSmiley Posted 10 Aug 2018 , 10:41pm
post #17 of 22

She has been unable to replay to the post, June.  She said she had sent replies three times only to discover that they did not post.

jchuck Posted 10 Aug 2018 , 11:16pm
post #18 of 22

That's what I figured happened. How did you know Sandra? I checked for a 2nd post from Englishable, but didn't see one.

SandraSmiley Posted 10 Aug 2018 , 11:36pm
post #19 of 22

She sent me a message.

jchuck Posted 10 Aug 2018 , 11:42pm
post #20 of 22

Ahhh..how frustrating not to be able to reply!!!

SandraSmiley Posted 11 Aug 2018 , 2:59am
post #21 of 22

I know.  That seems to be happening a lot lately.

jchuck Posted 11 Aug 2018 , 12:01pm
post #22 of 22

I don't think this particular problem, logging in, can't post, has ever stopped Sandra. I had trouble for almost 2 yrs., then inexplicably, problem solved. For me anyway. But it still affecting many members.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%