$188 For A Wedding Cake...feel Used

Decorating By justine69 Updated 5 Aug 2018 , 11:47pm by jchuck

justine69 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justine69 Posted 1 Aug 2018 , 7:16am
post #1 of 17

I’ve never posted on CC before but could use some moral support  I bake cakes as a hobby and was asked by a friend if I could make her best friend a wedding cake. I said okay (first bad move) and we agreed she would give me a gift certificate afterwards (second bad move). The bride specified she wanted a lilac wedding cake with her and her husband on top (down to the lace of her wedding dress and the color of his tie), her cat, an owl, a rabbit, a deer, white round cake on top of a purple square cake on top of a hexagon ombré cake, all with a waterfall running down the middle. 

8 For A Wedding Cake...feel Used

I work pretty slowly and this cake took me dozens of hours. My husband and I had to each take a day off work just to get the baking done, let alone the decorations. It probably took me 6 hours just wracking my brain just to figure out how to do the waterfall. I bought special sized cake tins, a ton of fondant, spent gazillions in ingredients. Even buying the cake board cost a ton. And a 2 hour drive to deliver. 

Anyway, we spent all this time and money, everyone at the wedding loved it, thought it looked like a professional cake, the bride said it was so special to her. I was really happy she liked it even though while making it I was very stressed. I posted pictures of the cake on my FB page with chronicles of the decorating process, in case other bakers find it interesting/funny/helpful (and because my mum likes to read my stories). It’s a public page and she read the posts and said she was so touched, she had no idea how much work she was asking for.

https://www.facebook.com/unsupportedbrowser

After loving the cake and reading the posts,  she gives me the gift certificate about a week later (which was the first time I actually met her). As the post title says, it was for $188. On the one hand I feel mean spirited for saying I think that’s cheap. On the other I feel really used. Of course I wouldn’t have expected even close to what she’d pay a professional, but $188 just felt really hurtful (plus the head scratching of being a totally bizarre number).  This was a large, fancy wedding, the area is one of the wealthiest in the US (people throw parties for their 3 year olds that include exotic birds and petting zoos), people came from overseas for the wedding, it was set in an idyllic location - so I dont think money was an issue, I know she knew the effort it was because she read the FB posts and said so. I’m just shocked.  

So, just venting a bit (thank you, it’s been building up!) and wondering how you all would react and if anyone has similar stories  

16 replies
bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 1 Aug 2018 , 12:06pm
post #2 of 17

Your cake is stunning!!

She probably thought she was being generous as without a bill she likely has no idea what it was worth.

Perhaps talk to your friend and let her know how you feel.

SandraDee73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraDee73 Posted 1 Aug 2018 , 1:35pm
post #3 of 17

90% of people don't know how much goes into a cake or how much it is worth. 
Rest assured your cake is beautiful and moving forward, always discuss compensation, no matter who it's for.

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 1 Aug 2018 , 1:42pm
post #4 of 17

Honestly, my first reaction would be "that is all you are going to give me?!"  And then, after the initial shock, I would be kicking myself.  Like bubs1stbirthday said, she probably thought she was being generous (also you can't judge her gift against her wedding because she may not have paid for it/you have no idea how much was spent on it/just because it is a wealthy area doesn't mean this couple is wealthy/just because people flew in from overseas doesn't mean the couple shelled out for the plane tickets).  Unless you are involved in the making one really truly has no idea the amount of effort, time and money that goes into making something as pretty as your cake.  I am only a hobby baker too, but when I used to be a florist people pretty much have the same mindset when it comes to cakes.   

But I think your frustration and anger is a bit misdirected.  However, now you know going forward not to just accept the offer of a gift certificate for some unknown amount after everything is done.  I feel like everyone, including myself, have made similar mistakes, kicked ourselves, and made the necessary changes for any future orders.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 1 Aug 2018 , 2:07pm
post #5 of 17

yeah -- nail the prices down first --  never leave that door open like that again -- you already know that now -- exclamation point after the price -- no more question marks --

wow your cake is outstanding -- i'm sorry it took you so long but wow what a result -- so you need to decide if you want to put out that kind of energy for what mean usually would be many times $188 -- but if you include the two of you missing a days work each -- the price you personally paid is astronomical -- and you can only recoup a fraction of that --

just gotta decide if it's worth it to try & get fast enough to make it worth while going forward -- but you absolutely should absolutely get what a pro would charge without doubt --

it's an incredible stunner cake

whatthedogate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whatthedogate Posted 1 Aug 2018 , 4:02pm
post #6 of 17

First, you cake is beautiful. It is a work of art. Think of this as a lesson in cake pricing. Don't let this experience deter you from sharing your gift with the world. Get on you tube and check out some of the cake pricing videos. I liked the series by Krazy Kool cakes. Best wishes going forward.

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 1 Aug 2018 , 4:42pm
post #7 of 17

Omg that cake is beautiful!!!! You have every right to feel the way that you feel. As already stated, most people don't know the cost and time involved in making a cake, and there is 0 compensation for the time you missed at work. $188 is a slap in the face imo, and I don't know where one would go to get a cake that looks like THAT for $188.00.  You did an amazing job!

cheriej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheriej Posted 1 Aug 2018 , 7:13pm
post #8 of 17

Just wanted to say your cake is really beautiful. Just stunning. I can't say what was going through that bride's mind when she came up with that very strange number. Perhaps she didn't understand that your cake is a one of a kind work of art. Maybe she forgot to move the decimal point one to the right? Maybe that is just the delivery fee and you will be getting another check? To me, this just seems like bad manners. Even though this is a hobby, you obviously don't need practice. If she didn't know what it was worth, other people who pay for services in that area had to know.  She had to pay for everything else in her wedding.  I would say you should speak to your friend about it and share your disappointment given the amount of just hard costs for the pans/ingredients/travel time and your time and efforts. If you decide to do that have a number you were expecting and state it to your friend. You have nothing to lose by doing that and you might get another gift certificate. 

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 1 Aug 2018 , 7:52pm
post #9 of 17

I would have told the Bride "this price" for what you are asking. She must have only had $200 bucks in her wallet at time of said gift certificate....*After she treated herself to a $12 latte.

Let no one take your power away again like that.

Your cake is stunning. 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 1 Aug 2018 , 11:35pm
post #10 of 17

First of all, your cake is a masterpiece!  There are few professional bakeries that could have done as well.

Second, let it go.  As everyone has said, the public is absolutely ignorant when it comes to custom cakes.  They haven't a clue how much the ingredients and equipment cost or how many hours it takes to create the decorations.  More than likely the slight was through ignorance and not a deliberate slight.  You learned an invaluable lesson.  Make your price clear up front, secure 50% of the cost at the time of the order, non-refundable, with the balance of the payment due one to two weeks prior to delivery.  If you are delivering the cake, charge extra for delivery.

You may not realize it, but you are in a position of considerable power.  You have enormous talent and skill when it comes to creating a show stopper cake.  Now, here is the good part - you are a hobby baker, which means you do not need the money, it is just a bonus!  Because you do not depend upon selling cakes to feed your family, you can feel free to price your cakes as they should be priced and if the potential client thinks it is too expensive, they an go to Walmart and you are not hurt by the loss of business.  If the client does accept your price and terms, you have the pleasure of creating a sweet masterpiece and tucking away a nice little profit at the same time.  I have no idea where you live or the market in your location, but I would charge $600 for this cake and I live in a rural area.  

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 2 Aug 2018 , 1:48am
post #11 of 17

Your cake is lovely. 

The payment was stingy, especially since the woman read your account and fully realized what went into the cake.  I'd go back and amend to post to indicate that this cake would go for no less than $800 with all of the custom work on it.

That said, if you're making the cake, then YOU must set the price--and stand by it. 

In this case, since the person asking for the cake didn't tell you how much the certificate would be for, you were left guessing.  You pulled out the stops, but apparently she still thought she could get a bargain...........and, she did.  She clearly had a number in mind from the get go----but who buys a gift certificate with such an odd dollar amount?????---and even after seeing your creation she didn't have the honesty to up her ante.

Learn from you lessons.  Don't get caught on the short end of the stick again.  Next time, you tell them how much your time and your effort is worth.  If you don't do that, you will get pooped on every. single. time.

sugarbritches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarbritches Posted 2 Aug 2018 , 2:10am
post #12 of 17

Your cake is AMAZING!!!  First, I have to argue - you said you didn't expect her to pay what she would pay a professional.  That, my friend, is the cake of a professional.  At first, reading your story I thought she found this cake online and wanted you to duplicate it - but you created this cake!! It is so amazing, beautiful and PROFESSIONAL!  You should be so proud.  I have been through this very thing.  I think every decorator has.  WE doubt ourselves and devalue our worth.  I still struggle with pricing.  I have to say...the amount she paid is REALLLY weird.  There is nothing you can do now but put this lady on your list of "never again" clients and move on. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 Aug 2018 , 11:47am
post #13 of 17

pure conjecture -- based on previous experience -- it sounds like maybe she ran over her budget for the wedding -- maybe someone promised her a gift certificate for an item she didn't want or was a duplicate -- so she knew she was getting this gift certificate -- and...there you go ouch ouch ouch -- and it being asked for through a friend of the bride is weird too -- wanted to find someone good and accessible but easily handled --

easily handled is an operative phrase here -- everytime we price below what the market should be we open the door wider for this kind of abuse -- it's commonplace of course -- the industry has been dumbed down to a drastic degree in so many ways -- sad 

and recently people rejoicing because they have the all wonderful cottage law -- that allows them to bake from home easier than it was before when their state had some guidelines -- dumbs it down more and more and more -- i doubt that baking will ever recover -- 

but the good news is we can still bake and create beautiful works of art -- and if we are really really clever we can get paid properly -- 

Gingerlocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingerlocks Posted 5 Aug 2018 , 5:09pm
post #14 of 17

O my gosh; that cake is absolutely stunning. I'm so sorry you were taken advantage of so badly; we have ALL been there at one point or another in our cakes. Use it as a lesson and never let you or your husband be taken advantage of like that again. 

smile22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smile22 Posted 5 Aug 2018 , 9:38pm
post #15 of 17

I would pay upwards 500-1000 for that cake if not more next time a friends friend is looking for a cake please let them know pricing is determined during consultation. I would be mad too.

I did a cupcake wedding and charged less than I should thinking I’d get business from it no business and not even a thank you from the bride 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 5 Aug 2018 , 9:57pm
post #16 of 17

I certainly can understand why you feel used!!  Such a beautiful creation! What a wonderful job you did.   Yes, indeed I would feel used too. Now you will have to have a duck's back - and let this ugly situation roll off you - keeping it in mind as a learning time.  NO more 'help out a friend' - unless you have an agreement of cost - what it will cost them. 

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 5 Aug 2018 , 11:47pm
post #17 of 17

Such a stunning cake. Extremely well done and professional. I was quite surprised you and your husband would take a day off work to finish a cake and lose a days pay. No way would I do this unless cake had been a close family member. Even then, it would probably have take a owed holiday day. But, I’m assuming you expected to be well compensated for the cake. As others have said, most people don’t have a clue the work involved. Even tho this bride read your explanation of making the cake, unless you’re a baker, you still wouldn’t get it. I understand your upset and disappointment. Unfortunately you have learned a tough lesson. All lessons are valuable if we learn from them. Now I know you never let anything like this happen to you again. You will set your price, and take a deposit. 

I had a slightly similar situation years ago. I made a wedding cake for my daughter’s sister in law’s wedding. Unbeknownst to me, my daughter quoted her a price without my consent or knowledge. I felt obligated to stick to it, which now in hindsight was foolish. I would never ever allow that now. I would have contacted said sister in law and told her there was a mistake, that my daughter doesn’t speak for me. Would have negotiated my own fee. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%