Leaning Cake Disaster. Please Help.

Decorating By louglou Updated 31 Jul 2018 , 9:57pm by maybenot

louglou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
louglou Posted 30 Jul 2018 , 8:21pm
post #1 of 5

I'm making a pineapple shaped cake. It 4 layers and is about 7" high. I probably put too much filling in and stupidly did not put a board in half way up and the bottom layer is suffering. Its crumbcoated but leaning. Is there anything I can do to shore it up? I'm going to cover it in fondant tiles which will have quite an organic natural look so it doesn't have to be perfectly symmetrical but obviously I don't want to have a leaning tower of pineapple.

Please help. relieved

4 replies
maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 30 Jul 2018 , 8:40pm
post #2 of 5

I'd take it apart and add a board and supports. 

louglou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
louglou Posted 30 Jul 2018 , 10:04pm
post #3 of 5

Reluctantly I’ve done what you suggested. It’s a shame because I’ve lost a layer of filling (pineapple jam and  rum coconut buttercream

cutiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiger Posted 31 Jul 2018 , 12:09am
post #4 of 5

You can try to secure it with dowels or bubble straws so that it doesn't slide again.  

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 31 Jul 2018 , 9:57pm
post #5 of 5

Quote by @louglou on 23 hours ago

Reluctantly I’ve done what you suggested. It’s a shame because I’ve lost a layer of filling (pineapple jam and  rum coconut buttercream

I understand, but you did the right thing to get a secure cake.  Adding straws or dowels without a support board wouldn't do anything.  Better missing some filling than witnessing a collapse.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%