Help For A Bride Allergic To Everything!!!

Baking By TruCake Updated 27 Jul 2018 , 1:25am by TruCake

TruCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TruCake Posted 25 Jul 2018 , 12:20am
post #1 of 15

So here is my deal:

I have a bride (God bless her) is allergic to everything but sugar and air!!!  LOL   She has allergies to eggs, dairy and nuts (so many I don't want to use anything nut related), oh...and she is not a fan of dark chocolate, white is ok.  She and her fiance are both doctors and planning a large wedding here in town.  They both are out of state so I am dealing with Mom ( who has been great) . Mom does not care if anything is vegan so is not much help. :(

So this is my issue:  we are doing a small cake for cutting, but doing a 700 piece dessert table.  A "His and Hers".  His half are all the norm stuff.  Hers, I had an idea to mirror his table with hers but all vegan, due to issues above. She loved the idea since all their guest know how hard things have been for her  I have been looking at whole foods for some of the best "products" to be able to due this.  I thought I would reach out to everyone and give you some of my ideas and see if any one had great vegan desserts they may share or at least the best products to use.  Below are some of the idea I am doing for his but need to perfect hers.  Wedding is mid October so I have so time to play and use these new ideas of different shows we have, 

Desserts: Cheese Cake - need best Vegan option, Gelatins with fresh whip cream, Mousse Parfaits, Macaroons - for her we will do mini cookies with same fillings.

So any great ideas for "Her" would be great.  It is also a formal event.  I feel she has been cheated out of cool dessert options due to her allergies her whole life.  We just want it to be super special.

Thanks for any cool, great ideas you may have or share.

14 replies
jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 25 Jul 2018 , 1:20am
post #2 of 15

Wow...that’s a tough situation. My only concern is the nut allergy. Making sure no products you work with have traces of nuts. No eggs, dairy and nuts you can still make a cake. Bob’s Red Mill one to one flour, aquafaba (chickpea liquid) for eggs, almond milk. There are cheesecakes without eggs and vegan cookies for a crust. Just some ideas...cookies, sugar cookie squares, blondie brownies, white chocolate truffles. 

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 25 Jul 2018 , 2:59am
post #3 of 15

*/I was going to suggest aquafaba too but make sure you practice (and perhaps you need to factor that cost in?) as I have tried several recipes and they -+all had varying success. You can also find recipes that use beans/chickpeas as the flour, there is the option of using Banana Flour etc also to make banana cake, perhaps find a recipe that excludes most of those things already and then try to find substitutes for whatever else is in there that she can't eat.

Also it might be a good idea if she is willing to compromise to have a majority of the foods standard and only a minority vegan as people with no food allergies may not be real keen on the vegan/nut free foods.

Depending on how sensitive she is I would also suggest that she purchase the vegan/nut free items from a dedicated allergy free source and you provide the rest. 

Some people who are highly allergic to dairy can also have an extreme reaction and my understanding is that most people who are allergic to nuts do indeed have an extreme reaction. I am not sure that I would want to be responsible for avoiding cross contamination in this case.

TruCake Posted 25 Jul 2018 , 4:17am
post #4 of 15

Thanks so much for the feed back.  The cake I am good with. It is the dessert table I am really struggling with. Our cake tasting, she said was the best she had had. So I am using multiple flavors for parfaits with cake.

We do an eggless cheese cake. My concern was doing the vegan and products are best to use. Also whip cream options.  I am going to try full fat coconut cream and hope it whips up to make a heavy cream.

As for her nut allergies...there were like 3 she was not allergic to. I told her we would do NO nuts. The fiance wants the macaroons...she wants him to have them. They are both doctors...and I am making sure they sign my contract.

I have already charged them  more than enough to cover the extra products needed for the vegan products and gotten 50% of the total cost as deposit .

I had seen the chick pea usage for buttercream. I used shortening BC w/ vegan butter for a 50/50.

Any and all ideas are super appreciated. Again thanks so 

whatthedogate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whatthedogate Posted 25 Jul 2018 , 5:40am
post #5 of 15

Check out Gretchen's Vegan Bakery on you tube. She is super helpful and a few years ago started converting her recipes to vegan. 

TruCake Posted 25 Jul 2018 , 12:14pm
post #6 of 15

Thanks whatthedogate!  I have visited her site a few times. Will check it out.

Thanks 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 25 Jul 2018 , 3:28pm
post #7 of 15

y'know i would use a lot of fresh fruit -- develop a nice crust and filling then do different variations with different fresh fruits on top -- you could put some in a rectangle pan, cut long thin ones, triangles -- do minis in mini cupcake tins -- layer some like you said parfaits -- re-use your few recipes in different formations is my idea for you

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 25 Jul 2018 , 3:32pm
post #8 of 15

That’s a great idea Kate. Fresh fruit. You can’t go wrong with that, especially for a summer wedding.  So many ideas....tarts, mini crumble, flans. And the fruit, so many choices strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, peaches, pineapple....

LindsayH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindsayH Posted 25 Jul 2018 , 10:37pm
post #9 of 15

Full fat coconut milk will definitely whip up like whipped cream. I usually stick the can in the fridge for a few hours to let it harden. Then open the can and scoop out the solidified coconut fat and dump out the liquid. You just want the solids. Then whip it in your mixer like you would whipped cream. Personally, I think it's sweet enough as is and doesn't even need sugar, but you can add some if you want it sweeter. Or add a little vanilla. You can also make a really tasty chocolate mousse the same way. 

TruCake Posted 25 Jul 2018 , 11:41pm
post #10 of 15

Kate-  Perfect on fruit pies.  Since the event is 2 hours from us I was trying not to do the pie's, just because of transport....but I think I need to re-think it.  Thans

jchuck- thanks

LindsayH- Thanks.  I have not done much totally vegan, so great tip for me to get rid of the liquid.  So question the coconut cream, does it hold up as long as regular whip cream?  I can make mine and it is good holding shape for 2 to 3 days.  3rd day I dump as it starts to break down.  If it works the same, my options are super endless.

What about vegan cheese cake?  Anyone have success, tips, are a good product to use?  There are so many different products!  All expensive, so don't want to re-invent something if it is true and tried!

Thank you all soooo much!

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 26 Jul 2018 , 12:06am
post #11 of 15

I made a vegan cheese cake once (both my kids have been dairy intolerant as babies) and it was horrible, really pasty and not cheesecake like at all. It was made with cashews as the main ingredient.

Even though it cost a small fortune to make we had a few bites then threw the rest in the bin because no one wanted to eat it haha.

The recipe had lots if positive reviews though so I guess some people must have liked it.

TruCake Posted 26 Jul 2018 , 12:11am
post #12 of 15

Thanks for the heads up on the cashews.  My girl is got issues with nuts so that one wont be an option.  I am glad since it was terrible!!  LOL  

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 26 Jul 2018 , 6:40pm
post #13 of 15

i'm not saying fruit pies, but that's a good idea too i guess -- tarts, mini tarts and things like that

TruCake Posted 27 Jul 2018 , 1:25am
post #14 of 15

Thanks. Tarts are easy all round.

TruCake Posted 27 Jul 2018 , 1:25am
post #15 of 15

Thanks. Tarts are easy all round.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%