New Baker In Training

Lounge By newbaker2018 Updated 22 Jul 2018 , 8:48pm by kakeladi

newbaker2018 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newbaker2018 Posted 22 Jul 2018 , 8:31pm
post #1 of 2

Hi! I was hoping to get some advise/ motivation from all you amazing bakers and decorators... I am a fairly decent baker but a horrible decorator mostly due to a lack of patience lol

1 reply
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 22 Jul 2018 , 8:48pm
post #2 of 2

The best (and probably only) adive you need is to practice, practice, practice!!  Don't give up!  It takes time to develop a knowledge of any kind be it decorating, reading, spelling, etc, etc ... you get the idea.  If you want to learn a new language you don't learn it by just saying a word once, but saying it over and over.....and over.  You will learn how hard to squeeze a bag when something you are piping does not turn out right the 1st or 2nd time but does the 3rd time because you changed the pressure.  Same thing will happen when you learn how hard to press the rolling pin when rolling out fondant because what that fondant is going to be used for will determin how thick it needs to be.  Have you ever heard the saying "Fall down 6 times, get up 7 times", (or something like that)......it's the same thing learning how to decorate.  Start by trying simple decorations......use cookie cutters to make decorations to put on your cakes.......you can create really nice, simple cakes if you take the time to study other's work.  NO, you won't copy them *EXACTLY* but can make a nice, similar likeness and be able to call it your own work!  What a satisfying feeling that is :)    You are very lucky to have computer access to sooooo much help these days.  When I started in this many, many moons ago (35+ years ago) we didn't have such help.  We didn't have all those wonderful molds, videos, and sites like this one to help us figure out how to do things.   The only help I did have was access to B&W magazines about decorating.    So take advantage of those wonderful YouTube videos but do so the the knowldges that what works for one person may not work for you......not all of what you see/hear in those videos is gospel :)  After viewing something you have to figure out what of that knowledge works for you and what part do you have to change a bit.......or totally forget! :)  This is not a "lazy man's" hobby.  It takes work and lots of it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%