2 Tier Cakes

Baking By Jessica32 Updated 15 Jul 2018 , 3:32am by GIGGLEBOX2014

Jessica32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jessica32 Posted 13 Jul 2018 , 5:02pm
post #1 of 4

So I have been asked if I can make a two tiered bubble guppies cake, I usually do cupcakes and small simple cakes from my home bakery. I’ve never done a tiered cake at all. So question is basically how do I do this? What size is the bottom cake normally and how many layers? Same question for the second layer? Do the cake need any support or does it just stack? Also where you guys Buy boxes for tiered cakes? Any and all help is greatly appreciated. I’ll attach a picture of the cake I was sent, but they only want a 2 tiered cake. 2 Tier Cakes

3 replies
whatthedogate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whatthedogate Posted 13 Jul 2018 , 5:22pm
post #2 of 4

Cute cake.  If you do one cake, you can do two tiers.  No problem.  The size of each tier will depend on how many people you want to feed.  You'll want to do the top tier 2-inches smaller than the bottom tier.  For example 10 inch round with 8 inch round on top or 8 inch bottom with 6 inch top.  I like to do three layers per tier.  You will need to support your top tier or it will sink into the bottom tier.  Make sure your top tier has a cake board under it of the same size diameter. There are many ways to support your top tier.  Check out you tube for many great tutorials.  I use bubble tea straws in the bottom tier to hold the weight of the top tier.  Frost/cover each tier in fondant and then stack and then decorate.  I like to buy my boxes from my local cake supply store.  I'm sure others will chime in with more tips for you.  You can do it!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Jul 2018 , 6:14pm
post #3 of 4

Yes, you need to check out all the Youtube videos on how to create a tiered cake.   I'm still in the old fashion world of decorating in that I prefer 3" or 4" difference between tiers such as a 6" on top of a 9" or 10" rather than the 2" difference many are using these days.   I think it make for a much safer delivery.   Plastic drink straws are very supportive - no problems using them to support the weight of the upper tiers especially for small 2 tiered ones.  I have even used them in wedding cakes :)   As for the tiers themselves - I prefer using 2" deep pans and baking 2 layers for each tier and putting them together will filling.  But do take the time to study the videos on making a tiered cake and you will do just fine :) 

GIGGLEBOX2014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GIGGLEBOX2014 Posted 15 Jul 2018 , 3:32am
post #4 of 4

I'm sure those characters are copyrighted. I won't add them to the cake, I ask that they purchase them and they can be added at pickup. I have no desire to get in trouble to do copyright issues. Other than that I agree with what whatthedogate says above! =)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%