Gum Paste Is Not Smooth

Sugar Work By kees2u2 Updated 13 Jul 2018 , 1:54am by TruCake

kees2u2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kees2u2 Posted 12 Jul 2018 , 5:40am
post #1 of 7

Hi... I'm new to baking..started 6 months ago and LOVE IT!

I made my own gumpaste with egg whites and tylose powder.... And im making a 3D figurine but the paste is not smooth...its not that its cracking or dry...but its so rubbery that you can see where it folds....I was not able to make a smooth ball...you can still see lines... I did tried the 50% fondant and 50% gum paste....still the same problem. HELP!!! What am i doing wrong? 

6 replies
TruCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TruCake Posted 12 Jul 2018 , 1:09pm
post #2 of 7

Sounds like you need to knead it more.  I use our MMF and add tylos. But sometimes you just need to keep kneading. Also you can make it softer by putting in microwave for 5 seconds at a time to soften. Making warm makes softer, softer makes smooth. 

We dont use egg whites due to the health issue and everything we do is edible.

I am sure you will get other great advise to try here as well.

Good Luck!

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 12 Jul 2018 , 7:34pm
post #3 of 7

TruCake I don’t know your gumpaste recipe, so hard to help. I never use egg whites in my gumpaste recipe unless they are pasteurized egg whites. And I only make that type of gumpaste for making flowers. I too, for models/figures, just use fondant with tylose powder added. Easiest, most economical, great workability and dries fast.

TruCake Posted 13 Jul 2018 , 1:25am
post #4 of 7

jchuck, I was responding to kees2u2 issues using egg whites in her gumpaste.  She was having the issues with Gumpaste not being smooth..  We make a standard MMF and make our gumpaste from there w/ tylos.  Your right about drying quickly.  

Thanks for trying to help me! :)

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 13 Jul 2018 , 1:34am
post #5 of 7

kees2u2, are you using Nicholas Lodge's gum paste recipe?  I use it all the time, but I add one more egg white than his recipe calls for.  If your gum paste is really much too dry and not elastic enough, you can work in more egg white and /or glycerine.  Also, when you start to work with it, knead in a very small amount of shortening to condition it.

Gum paste is not a good medium for making models.  As June said, it is primarily for flowers.  I prefer modeling chocolate for figures or a mixture of half modeling chocolate and half fondant.

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 13 Jul 2018 , 1:44am
post #6 of 7

Oops TruCake...that reply was supposed to be directed to kees2u2. My mistake. 

TruCake Posted 13 Jul 2018 , 1:54am
post #7 of 7

LOL...NP

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%