Cake Filling Is Leaking-Help!

Baking By JamiJ1225 Updated 11 Jul 2018 , 1:18pm by cutiger

JamiJ1225 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JamiJ1225 Posted 10 Jul 2018 , 5:34pm
post #1 of 8

I made a 9 inch two layer cake with raspberry jam for the filling.  I put some buttercream on the cake first and built a dam.  Of course after the customer takes the cake, the jam is leaking out of the bottom.  Not the sides, but the bottom.  Besides putting in the fridge asap, any other thoughts?  Especially since I'm not with the cake anymore.  Now I'm scared the bottom layer is going to be all soggy.  I think I used too much filling.  Today is Tuesday and she's serving it tomorrow afternoon.

Help!

7 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 10 Jul 2018 , 7:01pm
post #2 of 8

I have used jam filling often and have never had it leak - especially out the bottom of a cake.  And how are they determining it is leaking out the bottom and not the side?  How thick did you make that jam filling?  When I use jam I do NOT put any b'cream on the cake - just the jam.   If you want the 'lighter' taste, mix the b'crem and jam but don'tmake it 2 seperate layers.   

JamiJ1225 Posted 10 Jul 2018 , 7:05pm
post #3 of 8

It probably is the sides and not the bottom after doing some research. That makes me feel a little better. Hard to tell not being with the cake anymore. I talked to a cake decorator friend and he told me the same thing abt not doing bc on top of the bottom layer. Ugh. Lesson learned. Hopefully it will be ok in the fridge until tomorrow when they serve it. I also used way too much jam. The small 10oz jar of poloners. Hope it's still presentable. Still new at the cake game!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 10 Jul 2018 , 7:11pm
post #4 of 8

We all live and learn as we go :)  For 9" layers probably only 1/2 that would be more than enough.

JamiJ1225 Posted 10 Jul 2018 , 7:23pm
post #5 of 8

You know it!  Now I'll be a nervous wreck until tomorrow.  :)  I love a good presentation, so fingers crossed.  When I initially thought it was leaking thru the bottom, in my mind the whole bottom layer was a pink wet mess.  I'll try to get off of the ledge now.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 11 Jul 2018 , 12:01am
post #6 of 8

I don't think there is any way jam would ever seep through a cake layer - unless it was awfully thin jam and the cake awfully light and airy.  If she keeps it refrigerated, it will probably be fine.

JamiJ1225 Posted 11 Jul 2018 , 12:13am
post #7 of 8

Thanks! I keep imagining the worst possible scenarios and none of them are pretty! Living and learning in the cake world. 

cutiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiger Posted 11 Jul 2018 , 1:18pm
post #8 of 8

Don't feel bad, we all have stories like that we could tell, but probably won't! Lol.  We have all goofed!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%