Crusting Buttercream For Rustic Look Cake ?

Decorating By Yummybakes Updated 10 Jul 2018 , 7:09pm by kakeladi

Yummybakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yummybakes Posted 10 Jul 2018 , 11:48am
post #1 of 4

I'm making my first wedding cake for a friend. I will be using crusting buttercream due to the hot weather. The cake will have the rustic look where drag your spatula. I'm attaching a picture of how the bride wants the cake to look. Crusting Buttercream For Rustic Look Cake ?Would this work with crusting buttercream?

Secondly, now if I decorate each layer, how do I stack the three tears without disturbing the decoration? Or do I stack first then decorate?

Also can I crumb coat , leave it to crust then add more buttercream to create the pattern desired?

3 replies
Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 10 Jul 2018 , 12:59pm
post #2 of 4

I don't see why it wouldn't work, you would just want to add the detail to the buttercream before it crusts.  And yes, I would crumb coat, let it set, and then do the final coat/detail.  You definitely do not want any crumbs to show in the final layer.

As for stacking, I would keep extra buttercream handy in a piping bag, then once stacked, pipe around the base of the tiers to cover up the seams and do a quick swipe with your spatula to add in the detail.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 10 Jul 2018 , 2:18pm
post #3 of 4

I'm dong that exact cake in September!  Coming out of retirement for a friend.  Above instructions are the way I'm doing it.  Of course still stacking with SPS.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 10 Jul 2018 , 7:09pm
post #4 of 4

Would this work with crusting buttercream?...........Yes it will work just fine as you create the pattern before the icing crusts.

if I decorate each layer, how do I stack the three tears without disturbing the decoration? Or do I stack first then decorate?.............You stack then decorate.

Also can I crumb coat , leave it to crust then add more buttercream to create the pattern desired? .................certainly :)  As long as the top layer (of icing) is thick enough.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%