Any Vegan Bakers/decorators??

Baking By smashleec Updated 10 Jul 2018 , 2:36pm by WYBee

smashleec Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smashleec Posted 3 Jul 2018 , 10:27pm
post #1 of 8

Any bakers and decorators on here do anything VEGAN? Let's talk!!
A lot of the recipes I look at use "vegan butter" which in expensive! I saw that you can use crisco instead. BUT it is made with Palm oil which I really want to try and avoid. Any other suggestions?

7 replies
weluvpiggies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weluvpiggies Posted 4 Jul 2018 , 2:16pm
post #2 of 8

Hi!  I'm a vegan baker because I'm allergic to eggs and milk.  I'm also allergic to wheat, so I'm also a gluten-free baker.  Talk about trying to bake with one hand tied behind your back!  :)  I can attest to the challenges of vegan/gluten-free baking!

My go-to for buttercream is the Smart Balance sticks.  I use a 50/50 mix of the SB sticks and shortening.  I always get a lot of compliments on my buttercream!  

craftybanana2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana2 Posted 4 Jul 2018 , 4:49pm
post #3 of 8

To me, Smart Balance has a distinct taste. How would you cover it up and is it noticeable in icing? I've had the Earth Balance sticks and their flavor is much milder. I've yet to use either in icing though since I get the tubs. I did buy some sticks to try, but haven't done so yet.

@smashleec: make sure you get the Baking Sticks, not the tubs.

smashleec Posted 4 Jul 2018 , 5:19pm
post #4 of 8

oo thank you!!

smashleec Posted 4 Jul 2018 , 5:36pm
post #5 of 8

which shortening do you use

weluvpiggies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weluvpiggies Posted 5 Jul 2018 , 1:37pm
post #6 of 8

Yikes, huge brain cramp!  Yes, I meant to say "Earth Balance" sticks!  I use Crisco regular or Spectrum Organic Shortening. :)

GIGGLEBOX2014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GIGGLEBOX2014 Posted 6 Jul 2018 , 3:42am
post #7 of 8

The closest I have to come to vegan baking was substituting flax eggs for a child that was allergic to eggs in my daughter's class.

WYBee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WYBee Posted 10 Jul 2018 , 2:36pm
post #8 of 8

I don't always bake vegan, but I did find a pretty good vegan buttercream. I really prefer Swiss Meringue and Italian Meringue buttercream, so when I needed to do egg and dairy free buttercream for a friend I started searching. I found a recipe for "aquafaba" buttercream and it was really good. I did use all shortening, but I suspect it would be better with at least some Earth Balance butter substitute. 

This shortening is soy based and palm free

https://www.globalsugarart.com/cake-and-icing-shortening-soy-based-3-pounds-by-ck.html?fee=3&fep=15016&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIu7Cy3uCU3AIVnbjACh3kgQi1EAQYBCABEgJo-vD_BwE

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%