Macaron Attempt

Baking By WYBee Updated 7 Jul 2018 , 10:58pm by WYBee

WYBee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WYBee Posted 2 Jul 2018 , 12:14am
post #1 of 15

Everyone discussing macarons made me curious. I'd never tasted a macaron and wasn't sure what the big deal was. Sure they're cute and all, but that's all I knew.

For a while I followed a few conversations about macarons and decided it was time to give them a try since they use ingredients I have on hand at all times.

Armed with a recipe from here, and all sorts of information from pinterest, I gave it a shot. I must say they came together much easier than I figured they would. My one regret was not looking into how to pipe them out onto the tray properly. Other than strange shape and slightly underbaked, I'm pretty happy with them. Thank you all for giving me the push to try.Macaron AttemptMacaron Attempt

14 replies
whatthedogate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whatthedogate Posted 2 Jul 2018 , 1:42am
post #2 of 15

Your macrons have nice feet.

WYBee Posted 2 Jul 2018 , 2:13am
post #3 of 15

Thanks! I think living in a very dry climate is helpful with these. Apparently high altitude doesn't cause problems either.

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 2 Jul 2018 , 6:20am
post #4 of 15

Did you swirl like you were piping a cupcake? If that makes sense lol you want to keep the bag straight up and down, release pressure before it fills the circle all the way. Tap the pan as hard as you can on the counter, and pop air bubbles when they come to the surface. Other than that, beautiful color, and the feet look perfect. Great job!

WYBee Posted 2 Jul 2018 , 3:15pm
post #5 of 15

That's exactly what I did. When they came out I had a good laugh at my expense. Next ones will be piped properly and mixed a tiny bit more. They were one or two turns undermixed. I tapped the pan good and hard and they didn't even move a tiny bit. It was a learning experience. I did learn that a couple drops of Wilton's neon blue made for a nice blue here.

ypierce82 Posted 2 Jul 2018 , 4:23pm
post #6 of 15

You did a great job even still. My first ones were, well, edible at least lol

WYBee Posted 2 Jul 2018 , 4:56pm
post #7 of 15

Thanks!

WYBee Posted 6 Jul 2018 , 9:55pm
post #8 of 15

Macaron Attempt2nd try was better. Now to fill them before they all get eaten

ypierce82 Posted 7 Jul 2018 , 3:43am
post #9 of 15

See. You've got it down now!

WYBee Posted 7 Jul 2018 , 4:30am
post #10 of 15

Thanks! They are surprisingly simple. Not nearly as scary/impossible as I was reading.

ypierce82 Posted 7 Jul 2018 , 6:01am
post #11 of 15

You're welcome. No, they aren't hard at all. It is the not over mixing part that gets a lot of people I think.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 7 Jul 2018 , 1:47pm
post #12 of 15

They look perfect.  I've only made them once and they turned out perfectly.  What a surprise!  Mike and I preferred them unfilled.

WYBee Posted 7 Jul 2018 , 3:58pm
post #13 of 15

They are quite tasty unfilled. I added a tiny bit of cinnamon to the batter and then used a pumpkin spice flavored buttercream to fill them. My husband is a huge fan of these now. Neither of us had tasted macarons before. My sister in law is allergic to wheat and I wanted to learn to make these for her.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 7 Jul 2018 , 5:57pm
post #14 of 15

That is so sweet of you, WYBee, and you sister in law will be thrilled.  It was our first time tasting them too.  Mike liked them more than me.  I would rather have a good, ole oatmeal raisin, lol.  I tried six different fillings and we still liked them unfilled best.  My favorite filling was peanutbutter.

WYBee Posted 7 Jul 2018 , 10:58pm
post #15 of 15

Peanut butter would be a great filling. My kids like these more than I do. I'm absolutely with you on preferring oatmeal raisin. That's one of my favorites. Of course I much prefer eating cookies to cake, but I enjoy both. Part of loving to bake, for me, is to try special things for people who don't always get special treats due to allergies or whatever other reason.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%