Thinning Candy Melts For Cake Pops

Sugar Work By Carolesudworth Updated 10 Jul 2018 , 11:51pm by gscout73

Carolesudworth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolesudworth Posted 29 Jun 2018 , 8:18am
post #1 of 7

Hi, 

I'm making cake pops as wedding favours for my brother's wedding in a couple of weeks. I've not made them before, so I've been experimenting with getting the coating right. I'm using white wilton candy melts but am having to thin them a lot to get the right consistency - like 8tsp trex to 100g melts! It sets fine but has a very low mating point now, and the coating is soft at room temperature. I'm in the UK and can't find paramount crystals at an acceptable price - what can I use instead? I've found palm kernel oil on amazon, but it's marketed for cosmetics making, and I don't know whether its suitable for eating! Mystic Moments | Palm Oil (Kernel) Organic Carrier Oil - 500g - 100% Pure https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005OWNIPS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_zSEnBbWVM475P

I'd appreciate any tips please!

6 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 29 Jun 2018 , 3:33pm
post #2 of 7

I am not sure what Paramount Crystals are, but I am thinking they are a paraffin used for making candy coatings.  I have covered truffles with chocolate thinned with the same paraffin used in canning and it is very inexpensive.  It doesn't take a lot and the coating drys perfectly stable, like a commercail candy bar.

cakefan92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefan92 Posted 29 Jun 2018 , 9:31pm
post #3 of 7

Sandra, you're a wonder! I never thought to use paraffin for dipping cake pops.  My mother always used it with chocolate chips to dip her peanut butter balls, but it never occurred to me.  Sometimes it's the simplest things!  Thanks for the reminder.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 30 Jun 2018 , 2:40am
post #4 of 7

I am so happy that I could help, Cakefan92.  I've only made cake pops a couple of times and my chocolate was too thick.  I plan to use the paraffin to thin it next time.  Best of luck to you!

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 1 Jul 2018 , 11:36pm
post #5 of 7

Paramount Crystals are Hydrogenated Palm Kernel Oil with Soy Lecithin. https://www.ckproducts.com/76-3204#moreinformation

Dar917 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dar917 Posted 4 Jul 2018 , 3:22am
post #6 of 7

I think the Wilton candy melts are a lot thicker consistency than other brands. I had to make some cake pops at work a while ago and we used both Wilton and another kind that my boss got from Walmart--Choco-Maker I think they were called. It seemed like the Walmart ones had a much better consistency. Try playing around with different brands!

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 10 Jul 2018 , 11:51pm
post #7 of 7

Please remember that Paraffin is a petroleum product. If you can't find in a store, I recommend ordering the paramount crystals or lecithin online as these are plant based.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paraffin_wax

Paraffin wax is a white or colourless soft solid, derived from petroleum, coal or oil shale, that consists of a mixture of hydrocarbon molecules containing between twenty and forty carbon atoms. It is solid at room temperature and begins to melt above approximately 37 °C (99 °F);[1] its boiling point is >370 °C (698 °F).[2] Common applications for paraffin wax include lubrication, electrical insulation, and candles; [3] dyed paraffin wax can be made into crayons. It is distinct from kerosene and other petroleum products that are sometimes called paraffin.[4]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%