Help!!! Cake Due Date Changed

Decorating By Pucci Cakes Updated 18 Jul 2018 , 11:31pm by kakeladi

Pucci Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pucci Cakes Posted 28 Jun 2018 , 7:12pm
post #1 of 10

Hello everyone

I have 3 wedding cakes (all 3 tiers) due this Saturday. So to get everything done on time, I baked Tuesday and put the cakes in the fridge. Wednesday I tort, fill and crumb coated then back in the fridge. Today Thursday, I covered all my cakes with fondant and leave them out so I can finish decorating them between tonight and tomorrow Friday. This is usually my timeline.

But one of my client just called me today and said the wedding was changed for Sunday. My cakes have to be ready tomorrow Friday because Saturday I deliver my cakes and I have a wedding party myself. I really don't want to put the cake back in the fridge since it has ruffles and I don't want it to sweat...it's really humid these days.

Will the cake be ok for Sunday sitting out on the counter since Thursday? I do have the air-condition on and I always turn the fan on directly on them. Cake is WASC with Swiss meringue buttercream. Has anyone made cakes this far ahead?

Thank you in advance.

9 replies
sweettherapy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettherapy Posted 28 Jun 2018 , 9:54pm
post #2 of 10

Hi!!! How weird that someone changed a wedding date so last minute, I’m sorry that happened, I always refrigerate my cakes but I’m not a pro. I have not had any issues with condensation and have done several with ruffles, good luck and let us know how the cakes turn out!!

kcp2264 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcp2264 Posted 28 Jun 2018 , 11:16pm
post #3 of 10

I think your cakes will be fine as long as there are no perishable fillings. 

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 29 Jun 2018 , 12:05am
post #4 of 10

I don't have anything to add sorry but I do have a question.

Doesn't blowing the air con directly on the cakes dry them out even if they are in a box?

whatthedogate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whatthedogate Posted 29 Jun 2018 , 3:02am
post #5 of 10

Perhaps you can deliver the cake Saturday and she can store it in her fridge or the venue's fridge. Does it need set up or is it ready to go?  Maybe some trustworthy wedding party person can be in charge of setting it out.

GIGGLEBOX2014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GIGGLEBOX2014 Posted 29 Jun 2018 , 7:16am
post #6 of 10

I’d let her know it will be ready as agreed, and you can deliver it as planned and she can keep up with it. lol. Do you have anything regarding changing the date within x amount of days of the event in your contract? If she doesn’t want to keep it herself you can leave it on the counter as long as your filling doesn’t require refrigeration. 

Pucci Cakes Posted 29 Jun 2018 , 7:38am
post #7 of 10

Thank you all for your help. Something tells she made a mistake with the date. We only spoke once when she placed the order and once she changed the design. I told her cake was going to be ready Friday afternoon as planned so she didn’t mind. I was just worried about the Swiss meringue buttercream staying out for that long.

But then I remembered last month I made a birthday cake for my husband and decorated it 3 days before the party cause I invited 40 guests and had to prepare food for everyone. It was also WASC with meringue bc and it tasted good. There was left over cake and it finished 3 more days after. I never put it in the fridge and it was fine.

bubs1stbirthday I always turn the fan on when it’s humid and haven’t had a problem so far.

GIGGLEBOX2014 I don’t have a contract. I’m still learning so I haven’t gotten that far yet.

thank you all again

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 29 Jun 2018 , 5:58pm
post #8 of 10

I would not consider a cake that has been in a frig for that long to be fresh tasting.  Also, if there is any leftover the client will not have any time to use it :(    However you did inform them as to the cake being ready Friday so it is up to them how to keep it fresh. 

Pucci Cakes Posted 18 Jul 2018 , 8:59am
post #9 of 10

Just an update on the cake that sat out of fridge from Thursday to Sunday. Customer called and they said everyone loved the cake and that it tasted delicious and moist. I even got two cake orders from that wedding 2 days later for September and October. I am so relieved and hope never have to go through something like that again. Just wanted to let you all know and thank you for your help as always.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 Jul 2018 , 11:31pm
post #10 of 10

Wonderful that you got a good report.......and more wonderful more orders :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%