Frosting Tools

Decorating By MamaGeese Updated 13 Jul 2018 , 1:31pm by MamaGeese

MamaGeese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaGeese Posted 27 Jun 2018 , 12:09pm
post #1 of 6

Does anyone have a favorite smooth icing recipe? I bought one of those tools where it smoothes top and sides at the same time, I think with some practice it will work, but it made my buttercream look ragged . I also need to know what icing is better under fondant, no matter what I do my fondant  ends up looking bulgy , I use buttercream now under but I'm wondering if it is just too soft?

5 replies
cutiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiger Posted 27 Jun 2018 , 2:11pm
post #2 of 6

I don't use fondant much to cover cakes, but have you thought about using ganache rather than buttercream?  From what I have seen, it is easier to get crisp edges with ganache, and it seems to eliminate the bulging.  

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 Jun 2018 , 9:41pm
post #3 of 6

I've found this to be one of the smoothest icing recipes ever.  https://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/22469/2-icing

MamaGeese Posted 13 Jul 2018 , 12:12am
post #4 of 6

I bought the pro froster tool, it was just a mess, I know I need to practice more, does anyone have any tips on using these? This is the advertisement photo.Frosting Tools

cutiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiger Posted 13 Jul 2018 , 2:23am
post #5 of 6

I'm not having much luck with my Profroster either.  Guess I need more practice!

MamaGeese Posted 13 Jul 2018 , 1:31pm
post #6 of 6

I'm so tired of buying all these gadgets that really don't work that well, I also bought that big stainless steel one from evil cake genius , that thing was so sharp on all edges I was afraid to use it. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%