Wedding Cake Questions--Need Help Asap Please!

Decorating By TheElegantEmerald Updated 25 Jun 2018 , 7:38pm by cai0311

TheElegantEmerald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheElegantEmerald Posted 21 Jun 2018 , 7:14pm
post #1 of 8

The wedding cake is generously semi-naked, and I made a practice cake just to be safe, and came up with a few questions...

I am a hobby baker, and level my cakes, but do not consistently measure the height. (although I will now :)  My typical 8" cakes are around 5 inches tall, so I ordered the SPS 5" columns with the 2" add ons. However, my base tier came up short of even the add ons (4.5" put together).  So.....I need to either make my cake taller, or buy the EZ cut columns. I typically do 3 layers of cake, and could add an extra layer for height.  My questions are:

1) Would it look weird to have the base tier with 4 layers and the rest with three layers?  (the height of the other tiers was perfect)

2)  Does having 4 layers impact the stability at all?

3)  Would the EZ cut SPS columns be the way to go, and do they still offer the same stability?

4)  If I were to go the EZ cut route, what do you typically cut them with?

Thanks in advance!

7 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 22 Jun 2018 , 12:37pm
post #2 of 8

Quote by @TheElegantEmerald on 17 hours ago

The wedding cake is generously semi-naked, and I made a practice cake just to be safe, and came up with a few questions...

I am a hobby baker, and level my cakes, but do not consistently measure the height. (although I will now :)  My typical 8" cakes are around 5 inches tall, so I ordered the SPS 5" columns with the 2" add ons. However, my base tier came up short of even the add ons (4.5" put together).  So.....I need to either make my cake taller, or buy the EZ cut columns. I typically do 3 layers of cake, and could add an extra layer for height.  My questions are:

1) Would it look weird to have the base tier with 4 layers and the rest with three layers?  (the height of the other tiers was perfect)

kind of but there are no 'rules'

2)  Does having 4 layers impact the stability at all?

naw -- just do your due diligence to build it stable in the first place

3)  Would the EZ cut SPS columns be the way to go, and do they still offer the same stability?

sure -- that's one way -- yes very stable

4)  If I were to go the EZ cut route, what do you typically cut them with?

thin bladed steak knife

Thanks in advance!

you're welcome -- best to you

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 22 Jun 2018 , 5:52pm
post #3 of 8

Aahhh again, K8 has the straight answers for you.  Sorry I didn't see this sooner but by now you probably has finished a beautiful cake.  We'd love to see it.

TheElegantEmerald Posted 22 Jun 2018 , 6:16pm
post #4 of 8

Actually, it's in a week, but I'll definitely post a picture.  Thanks kakeladi and K8memphis!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 22 Jun 2018 , 6:35pm
post #5 of 8

you are very welcome

thank you, lynne

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 22 Jun 2018 , 9:31pm
post #6 of 8

Have you tried bubble tea straws for support? They are easy to measure and trim to length. I use them on all my cakes - from 2 tiers all the way 5 tiers. They work great.

TheElegantEmerald Posted 23 Jun 2018 , 6:42pm
post #7 of 8

Hi cai0311!  No, I have not tried those before.  I decided to try SPS after hearing so many great things about it.

Also, I thought of another couple questions: 

1) Approximately how much icing (cups?) do you use for filling cakes of certain sizes?  In my case, it'd be 10/8/6.  

2)  For the 8" tier, I couldn't get straight sided pans in time, so I baked it in my 'nesting' pans and then trimmed the sides after stacking and freezing.  However, I noticed that after I had iced it, the icing started to crack....is this because of the freezing?  I'm in WA, so it isn't really humid. Thanks!

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 25 Jun 2018 , 7:38pm
post #8 of 8

1)  it depends on if the tiers are created from two layers of cake and one layer of filling or four layers of cake and three layers of filling. The thickness of the filling varies as well. I would guess I usually use around 6 - 7 cups (including the buttercream needed to create the “dam”).

2) I don’t freeze my cakes, so I can’t really comment on that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%