Chocolate Lava Cupcakes

Baking By JamiJ1225 Updated 15 Jun 2018 , 1:44pm by -K8memphis

JamiJ1225 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JamiJ1225 Posted 13 Jun 2018 , 8:31pm
post #1 of 10

Looking for some opinions here.  I make chocolate lava cupcakes using a boxed cake mix (don't yell at me) with dry pudding added in.  THEY ARE AWESOME.  Anyway, I want to try making these from scratch using the depression/crazy cake recipe that I have perfected.  Here's my question.  Is the pudding added to the boxed mix adding the extra thickness to hold up the ganache on top of the batter before baking or do you think it's just for added taste?  I prepare the boxed cake mix according to the directions on the box, so nothing has changed, except adding the box of pudding ( I think I answered my own question here).  I am just starting out with a side business and to say I made these from scratch would sound better.  Thanks in advance! :)

9 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 13 Jun 2018 , 9:27pm
post #2 of 10

myself -- I would not make a distinction between  scratch or mix -- why bother -- if you have a great product who cares what you used -- lava things aren't easy to make for mere mortals -- maybe it's your gift -- very cool for you --

question -- is using pudding mix still a scratch cake?

my best white cake for tier cakes is a box mix plus a few ingredients -- I decided to include everything available in my baking arsenal -- and it served me well --

question 2 -- what about the 'scratch' box mixes they have now -- no chemicals -- are those scratch cakes or mix cakes or scraxes or mitches?

question 3 -- who cares blush

best to you

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 14 Jun 2018 , 12:26pm
post #3 of 10

Well, in my opinion, you did make the cupcakes from scratch.  There were no cupcakes and then, using your preferred ingredients, you baked yummy cupcakes :)

But really, if the end product tastes good then who really cares how they were made?  

JamiJ1225 Posted 14 Jun 2018 , 2:05pm
post #4 of 10

Thanks guys! Kind of like the old expression, why fix it if it isn't broken!

JamiJ1225 Posted 14 Jun 2018 , 2:05pm
post #5 of 10

Thanks guys! Kind of like the old expression, why fix it if it isn't broken!

-K8memphis Posted 14 Jun 2018 , 6:08pm
post #6 of 10

good for you-- scratch cakes are cool -- cake mixes are cool -- they both have a place on our shelves -- no need to box ourselves in -- this way we can use the best product for the job at hand --

i'm proud of you

best of the best to you -- happiest baking -- hope dish fairies float in on soap suds to do all your dishes too 

littlejewel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlejewel Posted 15 Jun 2018 , 1:55am
post #7 of 10

Let's not fool ourselves starting from a cake, cookie etc. mix is not  scratch.  You shouldn't feel guilty if you choose to use a mix.  Just think of how many people walmart and other stores have purchase their baked goods, and so many people like the taste of what they buy. 

-K8memphis Posted 15 Jun 2018 , 11:02am
post #8 of 10

that's an interesting comment all in itself -- not all grocery stores use mixes for everything -- most packaged snack foods are made from scratch -- it's a no win discussion

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 15 Jun 2018 , 11:25am
post #9 of 10

In the end, it comes down to how a product tastes.  If people enjoy the flavor of whatever they are eating it does not matter if it was made from a packaged mix or if the maker raised the chickens for the eggs, pounded the grain into flour, grew their own sugar cane, etc, etc.  If something is good, than it is good.

-K8memphis Posted 15 Jun 2018 , 1:44pm
post #10 of 10

clap

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%