Experts..what Size/height Are These Tiers?

Baking By soldiernurse Updated 14 Jun 2018 , 2:15am by soldiernurse

soldiernurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soldiernurse Posted 12 Jun 2018 , 10:35am
post #1 of 29

I'm a hobby baker-asked to  make this cake for a friend's wedding but I cannot figure out the width/ht of this cake. Also, she wants the bottom fake but all buttercream. Ok to cover the Styrofoam with buttercream?Experts..what Size/height Are These Tiers? Any advice PLEASE help! 

28 replies
thecanadian160 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecanadian160 Posted 12 Jun 2018 , 12:47pm
post #2 of 29

That looks like a 4-6-8-10" tiered cake to me. Since I have only ever made one Styrofoam dummy, I don't think I will be much help giving advice on whether or not BC is kosher to use. My gut says that it should work just fine but I could be wrong. 

soldiernurse Posted 12 Jun 2018 , 1:05pm
post #3 of 29

How tall do you think each tier is?

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 12 Jun 2018 , 1:27pm
post #4 of 29

I would say each tier is about 6" high.  So probably a 3 layered cake for each tier.

To get an idea of the final look you want you can always go to a craft store and stack Styrofoam rounds.

soldiernurse Posted 12 Jun 2018 , 3:27pm
post #5 of 29

good idea! thx for everyone's help..

soldiernurse Posted 12 Jun 2018 , 3:28pm
post #6 of 29

Can I buttercream the Styrofoam?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Jun 2018 , 3:31pm
post #7 of 29

yes no problem

soldiernurse Posted 12 Jun 2018 , 4:38pm
post #8 of 29

any special prep?

-K8memphis Posted 12 Jun 2018 , 4:56pm
post #9 of 29

no -- just ice like you would a cake -- make sure you attach the icing well -- press down good -- easy peasy -- no worries

soldiernurse Posted 12 Jun 2018 , 5:23pm
post #10 of 29

@K8memphis-----thx! sooo much--and thx everyone for taking the time out of your busy day!

-K8memphis Posted 12 Jun 2018 , 5:42pm
post #11 of 29

you're so welcome -- can't wait to see your beautiful cake

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Jun 2018 , 6:31pm
post #12 of 29

Overall it reallty doesn't make much different exactly what size the pictured cake is.  What you need to figure is how many servings the client needs to serve, then make up whatever size tiers you need to get that many. 

To me they all look like 4" tall tiers :)  Notice how much taller that top tier looks compared to the other?  it's probbly  a 6" x4" tier.   Notice the top tier in this one:  https://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/2158946/fall-leaves-wedding   Then take a look at this one:  https://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/1285669/small-rounds-for-wedding   Notice  the difference......this one is 6"x6".  

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 12 Jun 2018 , 6:37pm
post #13 of 29

I agree that is doesn't matter the size of the pictured cake.  Any configuration with the same proportion will give the same effect.  The tiers appear 4" tall to me, as well, with a 2" difference in diameter from tier to tier - 10", 8", 6" and 4".

soldiernurse Posted 12 Jun 2018 , 8:03pm
post #14 of 29

those are the sizes I thought as well..but wanted you experts to validate it..that and the height..i think it's 4" ..like [2] 2 inch layers..it's for 60 ppl

soldiernurse Posted 12 Jun 2018 , 8:10pm
post #15 of 29

@kakeladi--I think the second photo is a close match--although I don't think it's quite 6" though..

@freckles---on second thought, I think they are 3 layers high--definitely more than 2..thx!

kakeladi Posted 12 Jun 2018 , 8:35pm
post #16 of 29

........... the second photo is a close match--although I don't think it's quite 6" though....

Ha, Ha,  I made it so I know it is 6" tall :)

soldiernurse Posted 13 Jun 2018 , 10:45am
post #17 of 29

Sorry..I meant I don't think my photo cake is 6in..lol.. Sorry about the confusion there.

soldiernurse Posted 13 Jun 2018 , 10:56am
post #18 of 29

@ freckles..I went by Hobby Lobby and stacked the dummies until I got the look I wanted.. ended up with a 12 [styrofoam], 10, 8, 6..3 in high tiers.   What do y'all think? Experts..what Size/height Are These Tiers?

soldiernurse Posted 13 Jun 2018 , 10:58am
post #19 of 29

Those are 3  6in pans on top.

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 13 Jun 2018 , 12:15pm
post #20 of 29

I think that is pretty darn close in size to the original photo.  I am definitely a visual person so being able to stack/layout a cake before making it is always helpful to me, especially when it comes to height.

-K8memphis Posted 13 Jun 2018 , 1:22pm
post #21 of 29

i'm getting lost here a bit -- I think those tiers are the same height -- just looks taller because the circumference is smaller

soldiernurse Posted 13 Jun 2018 , 1:35pm
post #22 of 29

me too...I felt much better having "seen" the "prototype"  :-). I didn't want it to look stubby, like disproportionate..if you know what I mean.. thx so much freckles0829 for the idea....and thx again to everyone..I know your time is valuable!!

Don't kill me but...

--how much buttercream do you think I would need to cover the entire thing considering the design? Rose Levy Berenbaum's chart said 15 cups

--what's the best way to color buttercream..just add to the final product?

--how many coats would you do?

--she wants the 8" layer to be blue velvet and the rest white--what filling would you use for blue velvet??? what's a good one for white? Bride has no preference

soldiernurse Posted 13 Jun 2018 , 1:37pm
post #23 of 29

Quote by @-K8memphis on 12 minutes ago

i'm getting lost here a bit -- I think those tiers are the same height -- just looks taller because the circumference is smaller

yep, you're right..they are the same height, 3 inches..except the cake pans that are 2 ins each.

-K8memphis Posted 13 Jun 2018 , 2:19pm
post #24 of 29

if you look at the ledge on each tier -- we will call that one inch -- use that as a ruler to measure the height of the other tiers -- i'd say 4 to 4.5 inches there -- a three inch tall tier in the 12x10x8x6 configuration is not going to look like the picture --

-K8memphis Posted 13 Jun 2018 , 2:27pm
post #25 of 29

if they were petite tiers -- they might be 3" tall like -- 9x7x5x3

soldiernurse Posted 13 Jun 2018 , 7:16pm
post #26 of 29

Don't kill me but...

--how much buttercream do you think I would need to cover the entire thing considering the design? Rose Levy Berenbaum's chart said 15 cups

--she wants the 8" layer to be blue velvet and the rest white--what filling would you use for blue velvet??? what's a good one for white? Bride has no preference

-K8memphis Posted 13 Jun 2018 , 9:08pm
post #27 of 29

just use buttercream filling -- no worries --

practice making that dark navy color now while there's no pressure -- i'd use royal blue and some black icing --

I only do one coat of icing blush

kakeladi Posted 14 Jun 2018 , 12:44am
post #28 of 29

The rule of thumb is one recipe using 2#s of sugar for each cake mix used.  I have never measured by the cup - oh so very messy and NOT accurate.

I think what k8 said......color it now - play around until you get the shade you want.  B'cream can be fzn so what you end up with can be saved :)

Just do a crumb coat (sometimes refered to as 'dirty iced') then a thicker final coat.

Just pick one filling for the whole cake - b'cream is easy but you can add in some many different things - like jam; well chopped nuts; dried fruit like raisins, apracots, shaved choco bar; etc, to change it up :)

soldiernurse Posted 14 Jun 2018 , 2:15am
post #29 of 29

Thx to all! Time to get baking!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%