Asking For Advice, Experiences On Stacking A Cake On Top A Dummy

Lounge By Johelie Updated 9 Jun 2018 , 2:05am by Johelie

Johelie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Johelie Posted 8 Jun 2018 , 3:22am
post #1 of 6

I have to make a 5 tiered cake. I've made 5 tiers before but never used a styrofoam cake at the base.  (They are wanting the height but not so much cake). The cake is 6, 8", 10", 12" on top of a 14" styrofoam dummy. The bottom dummy tier may be 14"X 4" height or 14"X 5" height. My concern is,  Does the styrofoam cake need to be doweled to add support or will it hold the weight of the top tiers on its own? Three of the top tiers  will be approximately 5" height and one tier 3" height.  SMB cakes on top of a Fondant covered 14" dummy, decorated  with fondant  Rosette/ruffles.  I normally put stack/doweled/ tiered cakes on top of an MDF cake board to support the weight of all the tiers and add a center dowel through all the cakes.

Any advice, suggestions or experiences of stacking and transporting something similar?  Thank you. 

5 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Jun 2018 , 4:39pm
post #2 of 6

the 14" needs no doweling -- you can just put the dummy cake on a foamcore board -- no need to use a heavy mdf board if you don't want to -- think of it as a plateau under there for you --

i'd just deliver a fully refrigerated cake like always -- sealed in a corrugated cardboard box -- but you could keep the 14" separate if you want -- y'know i'd make it a few days or weeks early so it could set up well --

then i'd just use a 12" foamcore, the thick stuff under the 12

Johelie Posted 8 Jun 2018 , 6:36pm
post #3 of 6

Thank you so much!  After  worrying about how I'm going to do this, they have now decided they want it to be cake.  I was hoping to get that bottom tier done in advance like you suggested since it will be  most time consuming but now I have to make it on real cake. I have a whole new set of things to worry about and plan for since this cake will be a combination of fondant and butterecam tiers. I have transported BC cakes fully stacked in a heavy duty corrugated box with a bit of dry ice on the side.  I'm wondering if the Fondant tier will do ok with the dry ice. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Jun 2018 , 7:02pm
post #4 of 6

I used dry ice once a looong time ago -- my brother got married and we hauled the cake 200 miles away or two hours or something like that -- august 13th, hot weather -- it was fully decorated -- I was allergic to boxes -- didn't know any better -- but a lot of bakeries deliver sans le box -- but anyway the cake was perfect -- it was buttercream though

however with corrugated cardboard boxes -- not the ordinary bakery boxes -- cold cake stays very nice -- just whatever you feel best about doing

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Jun 2018 , 9:05pm
post #5 of 6

Dowels are in a cake to support the weight of the cakes(s) on top of it so as not to cursh that bottom tier.   If you don't really believe it needs no doweling - stand on the dummy cake and see that it holds your weight just fine!! :)

OOOhhh just read your last post......& your concern about using dry ice.    You really don't need to if you create a 'cold box' by getting two boxes - 1 just a bit larger than the other - and fzing bags of water (make your own ice).  Place the ice bags in the larger box, with the cake in the smaller one.  Then wrap the whole thing in towels &/or wrap car windshield covers around it.  

Johelie Posted 9 Jun 2018 , 2:05am
post #6 of 6

Thank you!! Summer's in Georgia are 90 degrees to 100+. Humidity can make it feel like 100 even if it's in the 90's. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%