Venting And Advice

Business By sheBakes3000 Updated 7 Jun 2018 , 11:55pm by bubs1stbirthday

sheBakes3000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheBakes3000 Posted 7 Jun 2018 , 9:36pm
post #1 of 5

I got so frustrated today. I shouldn't let things get to me, but I was so frustrated that I hung up on a customer.

I received an order a few days ago for a cheesecake for a woman's father. First, I had to ask what flavor over 8 times in a 20 min period. The customer kept saying "reesecups on top." I kept explaining that "reesecups on top" is not a flavor. She ignored all my suggestions. Then finally settled on peanut butter chocolate chunk cheesecake. 

I thought everything was fine, until she called me the next day and told me her dad is "allergic to peanuts" and "all kinds of nuts." So, I asked why would she order a peanut butter cheesecake. I asked again what flavor she wanted and  I offered alternatives to peanut butter. She literally ignored everything I said and kept insisting on the peanut butter cheesecake. I explained that I will not serve food that is a known allergen to a customer. She even told me the dangerous physical reactions her dad has to nuts. So I was serious, and kept suggesting alternatives. 

Then, she hangs up and calls me back with her mother on the line who insisted that the dad was only allergic to whole nuts, and can eat peanut butter and peanut products. I've never heard of anything more retarded in my life (didn't say that out loud). I finally told them I wasn't going to handle their order and hung up, because they still kept over talking me. 

I know some people might be reading this and think, who cares. Sell them the product and if the dad has a dangerous reaction, its on them. But, I feel like since I have knowledge of the allergy, that it would be negligence on my part if I still sold them the product for the dad to consume. Am I right? Or wrong?

Thanks so much

4 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 Jun 2018 , 9:47pm
post #2 of 5

I would have done the same thing you did!   No way  would I accept this order.   Something is fishy with the whole dea;/

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 7 Jun 2018 , 10:49pm
post #3 of 5

Fully agree with kakeladi!  I would not touch this with a 10 foot pole!  Stop fuming, you dodged a bullet. Be happy!

doz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doz Posted 7 Jun 2018 , 10:55pm
post #4 of 5

I also agree that it was wise to not do this order.  Some people have peanut allergies and some are allergic to only tree nuts- walnuts, pecans, etc.  but I still wouldn't take the chance.  Good call.

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 7 Jun 2018 , 11:55pm
post #5 of 5

You were 100% right.

The only thing I would recommend is before you hang up on someone, you calmly say something like 'at this point, I apologise but we are unable to communicate effectively, I am going to end this call and am more than happy to talk at a later date in a more reasonable manner'. Then if no reasonable behaviour is forthcoming from them simply hang up.

This gives them fair warning that if they don't pull their head in the conversation will be over and you can feel like there was nothing else you should/could have done differently to change the outcome.

I used to work at a veterinary clinic and every now and again we would have a client who was not getting what they wanted (drugs over the counter without a consult etc) and it just has to be done, no point in continuing a conversation that is running in stupid circles.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%