Frosting A Cake From Chilled (Fridge)

Decorating By xnataliesx Updated 8 Jun 2018 , 2:29am by TruCake

xnataliesx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xnataliesx Posted 7 Jun 2018 , 7:30am
post #1 of 8

Okay so I crumb coated my cake last night to watch it slide apart!! So quickly adjusted and popped in fridge over night. (It was late so bed was calling at this point) 

After doing some googling I've not realised I could have popped the cake into the fridge first to chill then crumb coat. 

Anyway I'll be frosting later and will pop some dowels in to stop it sliding again as it's also having a fake tier. 

How long after taking from the fridge shall I wait before frosting to avoid it sweating! 

Also does anyone decrust their cakes before crumb coating. 

7 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 Jun 2018 , 11:54am
post #2 of 8

why did it slide? did you level the cakes before stacking the layers together? are you using a slippery filling? make sure you have a nice dam of buttercream around the outer perimeter of the filling  --

xnataliesx Posted 7 Jun 2018 , 12:46pm
post #3 of 8

Hi I used a buttercream filling and did pipe a wall to stop the filling sliding out. Cakes were level I can only assume the room temp was warmer then I had realised

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 7 Jun 2018 , 1:36pm
post #4 of 8

More experienced decorators might cring at this, but I frost my cakes straight out of the refrigerator and I have had no problems.  Once frosted, I put it back in the refrigerator.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 Jun 2018 , 2:42pm
post #5 of 8

I ice my cakes straight out of the freezer and then put them in the fridge -- I put them in the freezer all filled -- ready to be final iced

xnataliesx Posted 7 Jun 2018 , 4:51pm
post #6 of 8

Okay thankyou guys I'll do the same. It's for a friend's baby shower. Just had a cake sweat on me once when I tried this so didn't want the same to happen. Was from the freezer though not fridge so hopefully this time it won't sweat on me

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 7 Jun 2018 , 6:50pm
post #7 of 8

If you are a little nervous about it, take it out of the freezer and let it partially thaw, then put in in the refrigerator to await frosting.

TruCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TruCake Posted 8 Jun 2018 , 2:29am
post #8 of 8

I too, ice my cakes straight from the freezer, then send to fridge or freezer for a few b4 Ganache or adding fondant.  I kinda don't think your dam was stiff enough as K8memphis noted

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%