Good Chocolate Cake Recipe?

Baking By kenzers624 Updated 12 Dec 2018 , 12:07am by punkyf

kenzers624 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kenzers624 Posted 6 Jun 2018 , 8:37pm
post #1 of 19

Hey all, just wondering if anyone has a tried and true recipe for a chocolate cake that’s sturdy enough for a wedding cake? The one I normally use (not for wedding cakes) is very moist and ooey-gooey, so I wouldn’t be comfortable using t for a wedding cake. It kind of falls apart if handled too much. Thanks, I appreciate it in advance! 

18 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 6 Jun 2018 , 11:02pm
post #2 of 19

I just posted this recipe earlier this week.  Like you, I had always used Hersey's Perfectly Chocolate Chocolate Cake recipe, which is very moist and fragile.  That is the reason I tried this recipe and, low and behold, we prefer it to Hersey's.  Enjoy!

This is a large recipe, but easily halved.

2 dark chocolate cake mixes, plus 1 cup from a third box, due to reduced size of boxes, 2 cups cake flour, 2-1/4 cup sugar, 1/3 cup cocoa powder, 3/4 teaspoon salt, 2 packages chocolate fudge pudding mix, 6 whole eggs, 2 cups sour cream, 2 cups strong coffee, 1 cup chocolate milk, 1/3 cup oil, 2 teaspoons chocolate extract and 2 teaspoons vanilla or butter extract.

Notes:  I use DH Dark Chocolate Fudge cake mix for the best flavor, instant cocoa added with other dry ingredients, increasing the amount of water by slightly less than one cup.  Instead of brewed coffee, I use instant expresso mixed with three cups of water (to replace the 2 cups of coffee and 1 cup of chocolate milk)

Be sure and grease your flower nails or cake cores so they come out of the cake easily.

This recipe is a pain with all the ingredients, but boy does it have a fantastic chocolate flavor, is moist and everyone loves it.  That is why I persisted trying to eliminate the sunken center.  It is worth the trouble.

kenzers624 Posted 7 Jun 2018 , 1:42am
post #3 of 19

Thank you!! Will try this one! 

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 7 Jun 2018 , 1:11pm
post #4 of 19

I use this one...https://howtocakeit.com/blogs/cakes/38284161-yos-ultimate-chocolate-cake-recipe

I switch out the water for hot coffee because I find that it brings out the chocolate flavor more.  I love it because it is moist but sturdy and isn't overly sweet.  I usually pair it with an IMBC and yum!!!

kenzers624 Posted 7 Jun 2018 , 1:17pm
post #5 of 19

I was actually thinking about using this recipe!! Thank you! 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 Jun 2018 , 9:35pm
post #6 of 19

AAWWWWW Sandra - I'm shocked and hurt you are not using my wonderful recipe :(    

One could  never go wrong with this recipe:  https://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/7445/the-original-wasc-cake-recipe

Just use dark chocolate cake mix and sub about 1/2 cup Unsweetened cocoa powder for 1/2 cup of the called for added flour.  Use strong brew coffee for the liquid in the recipe. 

SandraSmiley Posted 7 Jun 2018 , 10:37pm
post #7 of 19

I am sorry, Lynne.  I found the other one first and it is so delicious, I just haven't tried anything else,  The only difference in the two, that I can see, is that the one I am using has instant chocolate pudding, instand cocoa mix and chocolate extract added.  So many layers of chocolate flavor, and I am considering added Guiness and cheyenne powder.  It is divine!  The chocolate version is the only flavor in which I deviate from your original.

punkyf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkyf Posted 4 Aug 2018 , 3:45pm
post #8 of 19

In your notes I''m not sure what you mean about "increasing the water by slightly less than one cup". Could you explain? I'm needing a chocolate cake that the sides hold up well to just a crumb coat of icing. My daughter wants the cake to have a rustic look.

SandraSmiley Posted 4 Aug 2018 , 6:12pm
post #9 of 19

punkyf, I don't know what I meant!  I think I must have been drunk!  The recipe calls for 2 cups of coffee and 1 cup of chocolate milk = 3 cups of liquid, total.  I use instant hot cocoa mix for the chocolate milk.  Instead of mixing it with water, I add the dry cocoa mix to the other dry ingredients.  I make the coffee with instant expresso and use about 2-3/4 cups of water.  I like a slightly less moist batter, so I reduce the total amount of liquid from 3 cups to 2-3/4 cups.

Hope this makes sense now.  If not, holler, and I will give explaining another shot.

punkyf Posted 4 Aug 2018 , 11:23pm
post #10 of 19

Lol, Ok, that makes since. Lol. Is the pudding instant or the kind you cook? I'm assuming it is instant but want to make sure. Also, I want to use this cake to make one of the rustic looking cakes where it looks like it is just crumb coated. The sides of the cake need to be sturdy so they don't crumble. Would this cake be good for that? 

Thanks so much for your help.

SandraSmiley Posted 4 Aug 2018 , 11:26pm
post #11 of 19

Yes, I use instant pudding and yes, the cake is quite dense and sturdy.  I've used it for carved cakes and it holds up beautifully.

punkyf Posted 5 Aug 2018 , 1:39am
post #12 of 19

Thank you so much. I will give this cake a trial run soon!

susie1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susie1 Posted 5 Aug 2018 , 2:29am
post #13 of 19

I also will give this cake a try.  It sounds so yummy!!

SandraSmiley Posted 5 Aug 2018 , 2:46am
post #14 of 19

It really is good, punkyf and susie1.  It is very moist and I think the many layers of chocolate flavors is what makes it so yummy.

punkyf Posted 11 Dec 2018 , 3:00am
post #15 of 19

SandraSmiley, I'm getting ready to bake this cake again and have forgotten at what temperature to bake it at. I'm thinking it was 325 degrees? Or 350?

punkyf Posted 11 Dec 2018 , 3:00am
post #16 of 19

SandraSmiley, I'm getting ready to bake this cake again and have forgotten at what temperature to bake it at. I'm thinking it was 325 degrees? Or 350?

SandraSmiley Posted 11 Dec 2018 , 3:24am
post #17 of 19

Hi punkyf,  I always back my cakes at 340 degrees.  I tried 325, but it took too long.  I was also using the baking strips, so that could have been why.  You can certainly bake at 325 degrees, it just takes a little longer.

TheElegantEmerald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheElegantEmerald Posted 11 Dec 2018 , 9:31pm
post #18 of 19

My go-to recipe is the Mexican Chocolate Cake from bakedbree.com.  I just omit the cayenne, balsamic, and cinnamon.  I have never had it come out dry, but it is very sturdy and I have used it for wedding cakes.  :)

punkyf Posted 12 Dec 2018 , 12:07am
post #19 of 19

Thanks, I will try 340 degrees. I also use the baking strips.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%