Frosting/ Filling Ideas For A Chocolate Cabernet Wedding Cake?

Decorating By lindacarol6 Updated 7 Jun 2018 , 10:06pm by -K8memphis

lindacarol6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindacarol6 Posted 4 Jun 2018 , 3:20pm
post #1 of 6

I am a home baker and am baking a couple 3 tier wedding cakes for son's wedding at the end of the month. Cannot get a straight answer about where cakes will sit and the whole refrigeration thing so not using SMBC or anything "meltable" . Bride and groom have no preferences re: cake flavors, colors, decor.  Cake 1 is decided: southern pineapple poundcake with more pineapple filling, white balsamic crisco-cream and MMF.   Cake 2: I made chocolate almond sour cream cake and substituted good cabernet for the water and used chocolate flavoring instead of almond and vanilla, I brushed  with a cabernet/simple sugar syrup and it is really delicious.  But I am at a loss for a filling and frosting. I am afraid basic american buttercream will be too cloying and overpower the cake.  I assumed I will use fondant, probably satin ice chocolate, but maybe my MMF.   

Any ideas?

5 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 4 Jun 2018 , 10:56pm
post #2 of 6

Why not just go with a ganache filling, so as not to muddle the flavors.  BTW, what a brillianbt idea.  Red wine and chocolate are such a divine combination and I will definitely be trying it!  Thanks!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 5 Jun 2018 , 5:52pm
post #3 of 6

I think it needs some light fluffy cream stuff in there to provide a foil/contrast for the hearty lovely choco/wine flavors -- just find something easy to handle like -- oh what's that stuff my jewish friends use -- you buy it frozen and whip it and it's shelf stable -- can't think of the name -- someone might pipe up with it -- 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 Jun 2018 , 10:00pm
post #4 of 6

K8 are  you thinking of Rich's Bettercreme?  Or "Frostin Pride"?    Lot's the ideas can be made from it.  Just whip it up then add in chopped nuts, cookies, candy or jams or most anything.

-K8memphis Posted 7 Jun 2018 , 10:06pm
post #5 of 6

yes exactly Rich's bettercreme -- or yes anything like that

-K8memphis Posted 7 Jun 2018 , 10:06pm
post #6 of 6

thank you, lynne

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%