What Is Wrong Here?

Sugar Work By Emco1977 Updated 8 Jun 2018 , 1:02pm by Freckles0829

Emco1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Emco1977 Posted 4 Jun 2018 , 9:48am
post #1 of 6

What Is Wrong Here?Besides bad decorating, what went wrong Here? I'm new at this and would like critiquing

5 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 4 Jun 2018 , 3:26pm
post #2 of 6

It doesn't appear to me that anything went wrong.  It just looks like a brand new cake decorator who doesn't have a lot of experience.  No one starts out making perfectly straight, smooth cakes.  Watch YouTube videos and practice, then watch more tutorials and practice some more.  Before long, you will be surprising yourself.

You have a good start and your design is adorable, just practice, practice, pracice.....and enjoy the journey!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Jun 2018 , 3:31pm
post #3 of 6

best advice ever

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 4 Jun 2018 , 7:06pm
post #4 of 6

Thank you, my dear!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 Jun 2018 , 10:10pm
post #5 of 6

As Sandra said, practice Practice, PRACTICE is what will make you a better decorator.  

Strive to make each of your 'balls' (around the base of the top tier) exactly the same size & shape.   One way to do that is to roll out your fondant (no matter how thick - the thicker the bigger the finished ball) dust lightly w/cornstarch, then cut circles with the wide end of a cake tip - they will seperate easily - & roll each one in your hands. 

The top tier seems to tilt.  Did you use a board under it and dowels in the bottom tier to support it? 

Those are the things I noticed.

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 8 Jun 2018 , 1:02pm
post #6 of 6

Something that I think a lot of new decorators assume is that fondant will hide any imperfections with your cake.  And it is the complete opposite.  Fondant only magnifies the issues that may be going on under it.  So if your cake has imperfections or is poorly iced than the fondant will show that.

A smooth, straight and level base, in my opinion, helps to set you up for success.  No amount of amazing decorating will help if the base cake is poorly covered.  Know what I mean?  Kind of like putting lipstick on a pig.

But like everyone else said, practice makes perfect.  I made a two tiered cake for a friends baby shower as my first cake.  Talk about a learn as you go process and I have been one that loves watching cake decorating shows and videos on YouTube so I thought I had a leg up, but boy was I wrong.  I didn't know that each cake should be on their own board when stacking.  Learned that real quick when things started to sag.  Thank goodness for Google and YouTube because I was able to fix my mistake.  I also learned that decorating a cake takes twice as long as you think it will, especially if you are new to it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%