Icing Smiles Experience

Decorating By B.E.Sweetcakes Updated 1 Jun 2018 , 12:55pm by srichmond

B.E.Sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
B.E.Sweetcakes Posted 31 May 2018 , 1:47pm
post #1 of 10

Hi all! I just wanted to share the experience I had with Icing Smiles this week. This was my first time donating a cake and I have to say, it was one of the most rewarding experiences I have ever had. 

In case anyone doesn’t know, Icing Smiles is a charitable organization that connects critically ill children with bakers/decorators for celebration cakes. It’s truly a wonderful organization and it brings smiles to so many kids lives. If you’re like me, I don’t have many skills that I can donate to worthwhile causes, but I can bake and decorate a cake for someone :)

I was connected with a 5 year old boy who has been battling Neuroblastoma since before his first birthday. He has had to major surgeries in his short life and his parents are hopeful that he stays in remission this time. Colt went to universal studios and met Wolverine and had a fight over ice cream :) He wanted a superhero cake to include wolverine, spider man and Captain America. His favorite super heros. I am so happy that I was able to make him a cake that reflected those for him. 

When I delivered his cake with him and his he was so excited! He kept telling me all about meeting wolverine and how much he liked the claws on the cake. He was so incredibly sweet and precious. I just wanted to share that with all of you and to tell you that if you had been thinking of signing up to donate a cake that it is a wonderful experience :) Icing Smiles ExperienceIcing Smiles Experience

9 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 31 May 2018 , 6:31pm
post #2 of 10

that's just beautiful -- thanks for a heart warming story and for making that kid's day/cake and telling us about it heart_eyes

cake is awesome too

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 31 May 2018 , 8:23pm
post #3 of 10

Wonderful, wonderful job!   Yes, it truly is a delight to work w/such a wonderful charity.   Even though I signed up with them yrs ago I never did get a call :( 

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 31 May 2018 , 8:45pm
post #4 of 10

What a wonderful cake!! No wonder your little fella was excited. Warms your heart to bless somebody..

KitchenSix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenSix Posted 31 May 2018 , 9:58pm
post #5 of 10

Beautiful work!! I got my first call to action last week for a boy turning 1 in July.  He has cystic fibrosis, and he’s here in my home town.  I’ll be making a Cookie Monster ‘fun’ cake for him, as well as delivering it. 

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 31 May 2018 , 11:34pm
post #6 of 10

Sounds like a great cake KithcenSix. Have fun!!!

B.E.Sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
B.E.Sweetcakes Posted 1 Jun 2018 , 12:11am
post #7 of 10

KitchenSix I hope you have a wonderful experience! Can’t wait to see how it turns out!

rychevamp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rychevamp Posted 1 Jun 2018 , 1:27am
post #8 of 10

That's great!  I've got some changes going on at the moment, but once things are settled, I'm going to sign up. 

whatthedogate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whatthedogate Posted 1 Jun 2018 , 2:09am
post #9 of 10

Thank you for sharing.  What a great story.  Your cake is amazing. 

srichmond Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srichmond Posted 1 Jun 2018 , 12:55pm
post #10 of 10

I too, just got my first call to action. I will be making a BB8 cake. Chocolate with cookies and cream filling. I'm so excited....I have all supplies at the ready and just waiting to start! They don't need it until 6/16...I'm chomping at the bit!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%