Going Away A Week Before Mum's Birthday Can I Freeze A Fully Decorated Cake

Decorating By Creativewithkelz Updated 1 Jun 2018 , 12:25am by jchuck

Creativewithkelz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creativewithkelz Posted 31 May 2018 , 9:20am
post #1 of 3

Every year I make my mama her birthday cake. This year we've been gifted free accommodation for a two week holiday and her birthdays smack bang in the middle. 

Can I make and fully decorate the cake with buttercream icing and fondant decorations and freeze. I'd like to suprise her on her actual birthday. I'll get some one to get it out and give on the day. Normally I just store fondant stuff in air tight container once hard. So not thought if it before.

If I can tips on the following please

How to I cover/protect while in freezer?

How long to defrost (roughly)?

Should it be defrosted covered or uncovered?

In fridge or room temp?

Thanks heaps

2 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 31 May 2018 , 8:45pm
post #2 of 3

I know from your post that you are not in the US so I might be totally wrong on this advice.

........How to I cover/protect while in freezer?

I'd lightly wrap in plastic cling wrap, then put into a cake box which is well wrapped 1st in plastic (maybe a plastic bag?) then wrap that in aluminum foil.

.............How long to defrost (roughly)?

This is going to depend on how big the cake is, but most should defrost overnight just fine.

.............Should it be defrosted covered or uncovered?

If you have wrapped it as I explained above, take off the outter wrappings but leave the cake covered.

...........In fridge or room temp?

In the frig overnight.  Have them deliver the cake right out of the frig - so it's cold. 

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 1 Jun 2018 , 12:25am
post #3 of 3

I went on a holiday for our 40th anniversary, and we were having a small family get together  literally 24 hours after we were getting home. I made our cake 2 weeks before we went away. I covered cake in buttercream/fondant, and with fondant lace from a mold. I actually froze my cake, lightly wrapped in plastic wrap, overnight first. Then I wrapped the frozen cake with tin foil, and placed in a box, popped into freezer again. Took out cake the day of the party, removed all wrapping, and let cake sit on my kitchen counter to thaw out. Took a couple of hours. As long as you don’t touch the fondant, all is fine. Touching the fondant will leave marks. I’m not sure about your decorations on your cake tho. Depends on what they are. For example, fondant butterflies, or flowers. They might get crushed. Perhaps, you might want to add the decorations afterwards?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%