How To Make A Large, Flat Piece Of Fondant Stick Straight Up On The Cake

Decorating By moochified Updated 1 Jun 2018 , 12:33pm by jchuck

moochified Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moochified Posted 31 May 2018 , 5:20am
post #1 of 7

Hi cakers,

I have been going over in my head the last couple of nights how to get a large, flat gum paste computer monitorHow To Make A Large, Flat Piece Of Fondant Stick Straight Up On The Cake to stick straight up on a cake. Similar to the cake in the picture attached. Do I just put jumbo flat sticks on the inside and at the bottom to stick into the cake? I am afraid that because of the size that it will tip over and rip the fondant right off the cake. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance. I love this place :)

6 replies
louglou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
louglou Posted 31 May 2018 , 5:27am
post #2 of 7

I made a similar cake and used foamcore covered in fondant. I stuck skewers into the foamcore and it held up pretty well. I don’t think you can make it with just gumpaste or fondant as it’s too brittle. 

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 31 May 2018 , 11:47am
post #3 of 7

I haven’t  use foam core, but stiff cardboard for some gumpaste pieces. Sometimes, you just need the extra bit of help to make your piece stand up.

moochified Posted 31 May 2018 , 12:36pm
post #4 of 7

Okay, I will wrap a piece of foam core and move on :) 

Thank you so much 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 31 May 2018 , 1:26pm
post #5 of 7

attach it to the board underneath the cake if you want for extra stability

moochified Posted 1 Jun 2018 , 4:39am
post #6 of 7

Thank you so much everyone. For those of you that have used foam core or cardboard inside, do you tell your clients that there is foam core inside? Or just assume that they will not try to take a bite out of the monitor lol. 

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 1 Jun 2018 , 12:33pm
post #7 of 7

Yes, I do. Just in case someone, for some reason,  decides to bite into it. Liability. Same as I tell customers there are wire, and or wooden skewers in my gumpaste/fondant figures. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%