“Competition” Aka Store Wants Me To Compete With Another Baker..

Business By VeganVita Updated 25 May 2018 , 1:56am by TruCake

VeganVita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VeganVita Posted 24 May 2018 , 5:34pm
post #1 of 4

Hey everyone! Sorry long time no post. You guys helped me when I needed encouragement/support before, so thanks! 

Im a vegan baker in Delaware. The *only* vegan bakery here. One of the places that sells my stuff has recently gone out of state to purchase from another (bigger/more established/older) company and while they want to sell both of our items the manager made a comment about how their products are bigger and more intricately designed and they are selling them for the same price as mine, then he asked me if there is “anything you can do about that?” 

I pretty much said “wow that’s great that they can do that without raising their prices.” And left it at that

3 replies
KitchenSix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenSix Posted 24 May 2018 , 9:22pm
post #2 of 4

Yeah, I definitely wouldn’t lower my prices or try to match the same amount of work without more compensation.

Not a very good situation to be in!  Was there a question in there somewhere or just posting what happened to share?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 May 2018 , 10:31pm
post #3 of 4

I read this and got slightly outraged for you -- I know this is a source of income -- but I would so tell him that what i could do about that is sell elsewhere where my product is appreciated -- looks like you might get fired anyway -- idk -- maybe the new stuff won't be as good -- idk

yah think he tells the little debbie snack cake guy that people like the hostess snack cakes better and what's he gonna do about it -- 

I don't have a lot of patience with people especially today but this is some kinda crude on his part --

then again you could up your product and up the price a bit -- vegans don't 'usually get that much choice-- with fresh baked goods -- people like to pay slightly more for a perceived better product -- yeah huh they do -- just a thought --

I wish you the very best and sorry this happened but somehow these harsh passive aggressive occurrences make us better people --  

TruCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TruCake Posted 25 May 2018 , 1:56am
post #4 of 4

So much for keeping the money in his own back yard!  I would be pissed... that he would go out of state and not even get a better deal.  What a jerk!  That doesn't even make since what he is doing other than what K8memphis was saying, as to replacing you.  

We always try to do business with locals for our products and we are big in keeping monies in our city if possible.  I just don't even understand people like that guy!  I would go find  new clients to replace his business.  When he comes back to you, raise the prices and let him know cost of living is tough!  

Good Luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%