Cracked Cake

Decorating By SoniD Updated 23 May 2018 , 1:34pm by me_me1

SoniD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SoniD Posted 22 May 2018 , 4:28am
post #1 of 3

Sorry everyone. I have been trying to post the second picture on my original post with no luck so I am starting a new conversation. Anyways I made the attached cake and it cracked as you can see. I’m not sure if I need a denser cake or what caused it. My goal is to make a 6 inch 10 inch and 14 inch three-tiered cake for my daughter’s wedding and wanted to use rosette cakes on bottom and top tier. Any help or advice that you can offer on how to avoid it cracking is appreciated. Thank youCracked Cake

2 replies
KitchenSix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenSix Posted 22 May 2018 , 12:47pm
post #2 of 3

A couple things come to mind.  Was your cake crumb coated? Did you add a final coat before piping the rosettes? Was the cake cool?  How stiff was your buttercream?

Between my personal experience and what I’ve read, adding a final coat before piping rosettes will make the rosettes slide.  A cool crumb coat will cause less adhesion, and if your buttercream is too stiff, it won’t want to stick to anything, and eventually fall.

I don’t think your cake cracking has anything to do with your actual cake.

me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 23 May 2018 , 1:34pm
post #3 of 3

How bad is the crack? I can't quite tell from the pic. Can you pipe another few stars to cover it over? Or is the whole cake shifting?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%