Flour Icing

Baking By TruCake Updated 1 day ago by TruCake

TruCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TruCake Posted 5 days ago
post #1 of 29

Does someone have a great recipe for the Flour Icing that can be flavored any way pretty much and for stability I used dream whip added to many of my frosting which hold up under fondant and Florida weather....would if work with this type icing?

I have many Indian clients and getting more and more every day..( Not complaining at ALL!!)  However, most want eggless everything and some due to religious issues want no gelatin as well!

Would love some of the pro's to share if you don't mind.  

Thanks so much 

28 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 4 days ago
post #2 of 29

I have never used the cooked, flour icing (but it is on my list), but one of our members, jchuck, uses it all the time and swears by it.  Hopefully she will see this post and come to your assistance.

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 4 days ago
post #3 of 29

As Sandra said, this is my go to icing. You can use all butter, half & half butter and shortening, or for all vegan, all shortening. Now I doctor the recipe, and this wouldn't be vegan, by adding 2 cups of icing sugar and 2-3 tblsp of meringue powder. Of course meringue powder is out for vegans. Icing is lovely and light, and not too sweet. Also takes flavourings well and colours nicely too. If applied and cake chilled, icing takes fondant and holds up well. 

http://leelabeanbakes.com/blog/frosting-filling/even-better-cooked-flour-frosting/

Now if you want a completely eggless icing, try Aquafaba..chickpea liquid. It beats up frothy like egg whites, add several cups of icing sugar..wa la..icing. Flavours well too. Here is the recipe I use.

https://theblenderist.com/vegan-royal-icing-aquafaba-recipe/

Hope this helps.

TruCake Posted 4 days ago
post #4 of 29

Thanks jchuck!

I went and made some right after I made the post.  Turned out great.  I also added pineapple to test.  I used PS cause I just needed it quickly, it was not sweet at all. I felt it needed some sweet.  But I also only used 1 c of the PS not granulated.  So I am guessing I just need to add more to it.  I use a lot of SM, IM, BC and fondant.  

I loved making this flour icing and will use it a lot.  Good to know it works well under fondant too!

Not sure it you would know this or not....to make it more stable (being you use it a lot) if I added the Dream Whip to it, I would not think it would effect the integrity to the icing, but make it stiffer for being able to air brush???  Any thoughts would be helpful.  

Thanks so much for the quick responses form both you and SandraSmiley

jchuck Posted 4 days ago
post #5 of 29

Hmmm...TruCake Not sure about the Dream Whip??? I’m assuming you’re talking DW has been whipped, and your folding it into the flour icing?? 

My only suggestion is making a small batch of flour icing and add the Dream Whip. Apply to either a real cake, cupcakes or a styrofoam dummy and let sit at room temperature and see what happens.

TruCake Posted 3 days ago
post #6 of 29

jchuck.  Years ago I was on here and read about the DW and have added it to my BC to make it super stable.  Works great.  I wish I could remember whom suggested to give proper credit!!  I take the DW , 1 package add a 1 or 2 TS of milk to it, just to dissolve then add it to icing, (if you do not pre-mix makes things grainy. I do not pre-whip it at all.  Kinda amazing how it working with BC

Anyway, I will test it out.  I needed to airbrush the cake I was doing in, of all things Red...OMG.  I was afraid it would melt.  However the only problem I seemed to have was the beading of the food color. (Americolor) .  I do not get the color beading on my other BC. So I am thinking I just need to place with it and get it right for me.  I am glad I made it.  I used it on 3 cakes today and had a client in this morning that just loved it.  

This was the week for egg-less, unsweetened icing clients. 

So again thank you very much!  The Cake God's were smiling today!!

jchuck Posted 3 days ago
post #7 of 29

Well that is a new one to me that DW would actually stabilize buttercream. Would never have thought of that. Guess you will have to experiment wit DW and flour icing.  Glad I could help.

jchuck Posted 3 days ago
post #8 of 29

Oh by the way TruCake...aka Julie. I took a look at your cake site. Marvellous cakes. And saw the picture of you and your partner in crime, your Mom. You two are as talented as you are pretty...

post #9 of 29

Thank you!  We have worked very hard to build our business over the years.  My mother is my best friend and I could not do what we do with out her! 

crnewbold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crnewbold Posted 3 days ago
post #10 of 29

I believe the addition of Dream Whip powder originated with Indydebi.  Her recipe is posted on this site.  She says it's an old recipe given to her by someone else, but I've always considered her the expert.

jchuck Posted 3 days ago
post #11 of 29

crnewbold Thanks for the nod to Indydebi...

jchuck Posted 3 days ago
post #12 of 29

Well crnewbold I decided to look for the original recipe with dream whip by Indydebi. Found it. I don’t think I would use that much shortening in a icing unless I was doing a cake in the summer heat and cake was sitting outside. I’d probably do half and half butter and shortening. The addition of dream whip is intriguing, and I confess, I don’t know how it makes the icing “stable”? Anyway, here is Indydebi’s orignal recipe.

https://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/6992/indydebis-crisco-based-buttercream-icing

jchuck Posted 3 days ago
post #13 of 29

Ok I just discovered something interesting. I googled “ingredients in dream whip”, and looked at them. Well, well, after the obvious, sugar, corn syrup solids etc...Cornstarch!!! Eureka!! It’s the cornstarch that is the stabilizer. When I learned to make buttercream way back around 35 years ago, my teacher was an established cake decorator in the city I live in. She had her shop on the main street of my city.  She taught me to add 3 tablespoons of cornstarch sifted with the icing sugar to keep icing stabilized in the hot weather. And to cut butter in half and add more shortening to replace. Icing was the Wilton recipe from a Wilton decorators learners manual from the late 70’s. Recipe below from the Wilton website calls for butter or margarine, and shortening. In my booklet, there is no mention of margarine, just butter. 

https://www.wilton.com/buttercream-frosting/WLRECIP-41.html

crnewbold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crnewbold Posted 3 days ago
post #14 of 29

jchuck - Wow!  Thanks for the analysis.  I've never made it, but I've read a lot about it in this forum.  Many of the posts talk about it's stability in the hot weather.  If cornstarch is indeed the stabilizer that's an easy add.  I assumed there was some sort of gum ingredient but never did the research.

post #15 of 29

Thanks so much!  It was Indydebi!  I can tell you that that icing is amazing in the heat.  We have used it out side in 98 degree temps in Florida, for out side events.  We have also used it for our "faux" ice cream cones for kids parties.  It is a tough cookie!! LOL  It will hold on any cake we have done anyway!  

So thank you Indydebi very much for the share.  We now incorporate it into anything we need to be stable and it has saved us in the heat and humidity here.  Now if we could get  rid of the Love Bugs!  That would be great, they to LOVE stable BC!  LOL

Thanks again for all the feed back I love the constant learning and sharing done on this site!

Lets' all Eat More Cake!

jchuck Posted 2 days ago
post #16 of 29

It’s always great to learn something new in baking!!! On another note...talking about cake, I made elderflower & lemon cupcakes for out royal wedding celebration tomorrow. Of course there was enough batter leftover to try just one...such an interesting flavour. Very delicate. Paired with the elderberry icing...yummmmmmy. 

SandraSmiley Posted 2 days ago
post #17 of 29

Where did you get your flavoring?  The elderberries are not blooming here yet.

jchuck Posted 2 days ago
post #18 of 29

We don’t have elderberry bushes/trees in my area here in Canada. It’s just starting to become popular. I’ve never seen the berries for sale here. You have to have a large area as they grow 10 ft high and 6 ft wide. Certainly too big for our backyard!! I bought the syrup at our local Ikea. Good thing I bought the syrup last week, the sales lady said there were only 3 bottles left. Obviously a huge run because of the royal wedding. 

post #19 of 29

They grow wild here.  The road sides  are covered in them - remember I live in the sticks.  They even come up in my flower beds.  I've dried the bloom heads and used them for tea, tastes like a cross between licorice and sassafras.  I love it!  My sister made jelly with the berries and it tastes just like blackberry without the seeds, my favorite! They aren't a tree, more like a great big weed.

jchuck Posted 2 days ago
post #20 of 29

Well according to everything I read, they grow very fast. Fruit bearing within a year. Never heard of a fruit tree or bush that produces fruit that quickly. Usually, fruit trees/nushes take up.to 5 yrs to yield any fruit. And the site I read said you can get 10 kg of fruit from just one bush!! Thats a lota berries!!! And it's not fussy where it grows. So I'm thinking it could very well be invasive. Especially in warmer climates like yours. Another interesting fact..they use the juice as a natural dye. 

Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 2 days ago
post #21 of 29

I've picked wild elderberries and gooseberries before, but they were in the mountains close to where we have a cabin.  I made jams and jellies, and then froze some condensed to make sauces over homemade ice creams and to make pies.  They are both really good.  And the bushes were just loaded with berries.  We filled very large buckets with a ton of the berries!  But rinsing them all off was quite a chore!

jchuck Posted 2 days ago
post #22 of 29

We definitely have gooseberries here. More so in the rural areas. I've made gooseberry jam. As rural areas have beeb bulldozed, we've lost a lot of gooseberry bushes. 

Gerle Posted 2 days ago
post #23 of 29

Because where the gooseberries and elderberries that I gather are on forest service land, they get bulldozed by the logging companies and burned out in forest fires, but believe me, it doesn't take long for them to recover!  And of course it seems like they come back thicker than ever!

post #24 of 29

As I said, we have an abundance of elderberries, and as June said, they can be a bit invasive, but I've never seen a gooseberry, or tasted one.  The elderberry has a huge bloom head, about a foot across, and each bloom head turns into a giant mass of small, dark purple berries.

Gerle Posted 2 days ago
post #25 of 29

That's true about the elderberries, but the wild gooseberries in the mountains are totally different from the canned ones you purchase in the store and you cook them to have them "pop" open.  Then you strain them and let them thicken with some added sugar.  Wow, now I'm starting to get the feeling for working with elderberries and gooseberries again!

jchuck Posted 1 day ago
post #26 of 29

Here's a look and info Sandra ...

https://www.gov.mb.ca/agriculture/crops/production/fruit-crops/gooseberry-production.html

Gerle 

I've never seen gooseberries in a can here in Canada. I use to love cooking the berries and watching them "pop"!! A bit fussy to cook, strain and make jam. But oh so worth it. Not unlike crab apple jelly. Cooking those little suckers and straining, soooo much a pain. But again, so very much worth it.

Gerle Posted 1 day ago
post #27 of 29

Here in the states, the only way I've seen them, other than in the forest, is in a can and they are green and used mostly for pies.  The berries in the forest are yellow and red when they are ripe and ready to pick.  Both colors are very sweet and make excellent jams or jellies.

Sorry TruCake for highjacking this thread to talk about berries!

TruCake Posted 1 day ago
post #28 of 29

LOL!!!!! Have loved all the info and on the different berries.

I will have to find some and make something. :)

TruCake Posted 1 day ago
post #29 of 29

LOL!!!!! Have loved all the info and on the different berries.

I will have to find some and make something. :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%