Help! Cake Ruined During Transport By Customer

Baking By Donna1Davis Updated 12 May 2018 , 5:18pm by juleebug

Donna1Davis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donna1Davis Posted 12 May 2018 , 12:30am
post #1 of 3

Help! Cake Ruined During Transport By CustomerHelp! Cake Ruined During Transport By CustomerSo, this is the first time this has ever happened to me. Customer picked up cake today. I had to place it in the back of the suv, because it didn't fit on the floorboard. Which should have been no biggie, I deliver all my ckaes from the back of the suv. The customer called me an hour and a half later saying the fondant fell.  I asked for pics, and I attached what she sent me. I offered to meet her and help fix, and she said she lives quite far from me. She said it has happened to her before, but honestly,  I cant tell from the pic she sent me if the fondant melted in transport, it is 90 degrees here today, or if she took a turn too hard. Do I refund her? What do you all do when this happens? I recommended her putting it in the fridge, then sawing ofd the bottom layer and reboarding. How do yall handle this when it happens??

2 replies
me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 12 May 2018 , 7:17am
post #2 of 3

Was it thoroughly chilled for transport? And was the bottom tier level and dowelled? 

I can't tell if it's just the pic but it almost looks like there may have been a little teensy bit of a lean happening in the first photo?

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 12 May 2018 , 5:18pm
post #3 of 3

It looks like  bad driving might have caused the collapse but it also appears that construction may have been PART of the issue. There is already a bit of a lean and a slight bulge at the bottom right side in the 1st photo. Personally, i would refund her $. If the 1st photo had shown a pristine cake with no issues then i would say transport trauma falls on the customer and would not offer a refund.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%