How Many Mini Cupcakes + Transport

Business By Muffinsbymoonlight Updated 10 May 2018 , 4:55pm by kakeladi

Muffinsbymoonlight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Muffinsbymoonlight Posted 10 May 2018 , 4:11am
post #1 of 3

I’m very new to the home bakery business and of course my first order is a big one! I’ve been asked to cater mini cupcakes for about 115 people. The bride and groom want 5 (yes five) different flavors... What I’m stuck on is how many miniature cupcakes would be appropriate for that number of people? Should I make equal amounts of each flavor or prioritize flavors that would be more widely preffered? I know some folks may not want any at all while others may take half a dozen!  Anyone have advice? The flavors they chose are chocolate peanut butter, honey vanilla, maple bacon bourbon, key lime pie, and  pumpkin spice.   Also I have to transport them almost 100 miles to the event...pointers on transporting mini cupcakes would be greatly appreciated as well

2 replies
Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 10 May 2018 , 3:38pm
post #2 of 3

How big will your mini cupcakes be?  Will they be about half the size of a regular cupcake?  Or will they be more like a third of the size of a regular cupcake?  Depending on how small you are going you will want to do 2-3 mini cupcakes per person, so you will need a total of 230-345 cupcakes.  People are more apt to eat more when there are a variety of flavors to try as opposed if there are only one or two flavors so having extras in this case would be a good idea.

As for how to split up the flavors you are going to have to go with your gut.  I, personally, would just do an even split because you never know what people will really be into and since you have a nice variety of flavors I think people may want to try one of each instead of eating 3 of just the chocolate peanut butter.  Know what I mean?

For transportation, I am not sure but I am sure that others on here will have some great ideas.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 10 May 2018 , 4:55pm
post #3 of 3

Like Frescles said it depends on how small those minis will be and how they are decorated.  I agree w/her about making about 300+.  As for how to split the flavors - let your recipe(s) help out there.  However many the recipe makes should help divide up the total #.  So maybe the pumpkin recipe makes 72 but the vanilla makes 87 - so what?  Just reach for a total # in that ballpark of 300-350.  For transport - how hot will it be on delivery day?  Are you getting paid to deliver?? That is a very long way to go :(  Box your cuppies in cake boxes - unless you are able to get your hands on some pizza/pie boxes.   If cake box - use something like paper  towel rolls cut in 1/2 (or 3rds) to help support layers.   And make sure each filled box is placed on a level floor.  If you have to use a car seat, make very sure you pad it so it is perfectly level!   That is going to be very important.  The next consideration is will you need to use your car air conditioning?  Prepare yourself - wear layers of clothing - a long sleeved shirt; a sweater; a coat so as you get warm you can shed :)  Don't forget gloves.  Hands will get cold holding that steering wheel :( 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%