Crunchy Chocolate

Baking By shdvl Updated 13 May 2018 , 9:14pm by SandraSmiley

shdvl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shdvl Posted 9 May 2018 , 3:50am
post #1 of 10

My son added a request of something crunchy in the filling in his birthday cake. One thing is it has to be chocolate flavored. I thought to crumble chocolate wafer cookies over the chocolate ganache I am filing it with but am not sure they would stay crunchy. Any ideas what else I can use. My son said that his cake is death by chocolate flavored. I would like to keep it a simple buy or a simple recipe. No time to buy from an internet store. 

9 replies
AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 9 May 2018 , 9:51am
post #2 of 10

I know my local cake shop has these crunchy chocolate things like dairy queen has in their chocolate fudge layer of their ice cream cakes... 

I bought them to use as "dirt" in a decoration once...

they are meant to stay crunchy... i just don't know their name...

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 9 May 2018 , 7:40pm
post #3 of 10

How about adding in Heath toffee bits? They are super crunchy, and the flavor would go great with chocolate.  Also mini chocolate chips may not necessarily be crunchy but are usually quite "snappy" and will definitely add texture. If you are making a rich ganache filling, I don't think the intense chocolate flavor of the ganache will be diminished at all by toffee.  Add both toffee and mini chipsfor an over the top decadent filling!  

shdvl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shdvl Posted 10 May 2018 , 1:12am
post #4 of 10

Sorry it took me so long to respond. CC didn't like the browser I was using or something.

I don't have local access to a cake shop that I know of. I mover to this area just a few months ago. Closest is about a 40 minute drive :(. I am still stumped about "crunchy". I heard of heath bars but not toffee bits. The mini chips are an idea to consider.

Thank you  AAKT and yortma.

whatthedogate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whatthedogate Posted 10 May 2018 , 2:37am
post #5 of 10

How about Nestle crunch bar roughly chopped.

Bakerlady2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakerlady2 Posted 10 May 2018 , 12:50pm
post #6 of 10

Heath bars would work as they are make out of toffee covered with chocolate, just coarsely chop them up. 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 10 May 2018 , 4:57pm
post #7 of 10

My all time fav choco w/crunch is Butterfinger bars.  Crush them up - WOW!

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 10 May 2018 , 11:18pm
post #8 of 10

My first thought was like yortma, toffee bits.  They are in the same section of the store as chocolate chips.  Since I am in love with Butterfingers, I also love kakeladi's idea!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 May 2018 , 8:44pm
post #9 of 10

Sandra - I'm finding we have more and more things in common! HA HA:) 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 13 May 2018 , 9:14pm
post #10 of 10

Why am I not surprised, Lynne, lol?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%