American Buttercream Is Too Slippery/not Stiff

Decorating By saadi Updated 4 Aug 2020 , 11:55pm by saadi

saadi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saadi Posted 5 May 2018 , 10:25am
post #1 of 8

Hi all! So I’m a novice baker and I’m still learning so plz don’t judge me too harshly lol anything I did I found on the www. Anyway I made American buttercream using wickedgoodkitchens recipe which was basically to mix PS and boiling water until the ps is basically like dissolved and then add butter and shortening (and salt and vanilla). Not sure what I did wrong (although it’s getting hotter here in Cincinnati so I’m not sure if it’s the kitchen temp) but the frosting is just too slippery. If I pick it on my spatula it’s slides off. I’ve added more sugar and some cornstarch mixed in milk and without milk (lol

7 replies
thecanadian160 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecanadian160 Posted 5 May 2018 , 12:23pm
post #2 of 8

I'm thinking you added too much liquid to the mixture. Depending on the consistency you could add PS until it firms up, but without seeing it I'm not 100% sure that would work. 

louglou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
louglou Posted 5 May 2018 , 2:02pm
post #3 of 8

I’ve never seen an American buttercream where you dissolve the icing sugar. 

It’s usually made by beating the butter then adding double the amount of icing sugar (by weight). Add cream or milk to thin it and then vanilla and salt to taste. 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 5 May 2018 , 6:20pm
post #4 of 8

I agree w/louglou - have never heard of an ABC where you dissolve the icing sugar.   I bet you would be much happier using this recipe:  https://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/22469/2-icing

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 3 Aug 2020 , 1:37pm
post #5 of 8

I agree with all of the above, American buttercream does not use boiling water to dissolve the powdered sugar.  Cream the shorting, whether it be butter, Crisco, or a combination of the two, until it is light and fluffy, then start gradually adding powdered sugar.  When it gets too stiff, add cool water, one tablespoon at a time until all the sugar has been added. Before the last of the sugar is incorporated, add flavorings.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 4 Aug 2020 , 9:17pm
post #6 of 8

American Meringue Buttercream

1/4 Cup Heavy whipping Cream  (60 gms.)

3/4 Cup Carton Pasteurized Egg Whites  (155 g.)

4 TBSP Meringue Powder  (32 gms)

1/2 tsp Salt

2 lbs Powdered Sugar    (907 gms.)

2 lbs Unsalted Butter     (907 gms.)

2 Tblsp. Vanilla Extract

Place Cream and Egg Whites in 4.5 qt.Mixer and whip on High with whisk attachment until light and frothy, 30 seconds to 1 minute.

Add in Meringue Powder, Salt and Powdered Sugar and whip on high for 1 min. stop & scrape sides. Beat 4 minutes more.

Continue mixing on low and add butter in 1 stick at a time, then add in Vanilla Extract and Butter Flavor.

Whip entire mixture on high for 6 minutes.

Switch to Paddle Attachment and mix on low for 3-5 minutes or until most of the air bubbles have been released.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 Aug 2020 , 11:48pm
post #7 of 8

Hay guys did anyone notice the date this was posted?:)   Of course it never hurts to expound on a topic since someone out there might be wanting to know & too shy to ask

saadi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saadi Posted 4 Aug 2020 , 11:55pm
post #8 of 8

So I think after I posted this, I found cupcake jemmas recipe on YouTube and that’s the first time I made ABC perfectly

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%