Writing In Chocolate

Decorating By Hpolum Updated 1 May 2018 , 12:01am by -K8memphis

Hpolum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hpolum Posted 27 Apr 2018 , 12:14am
post #1 of 8

I’ve practiced so much with writing with icing, and it seems no matter how much I practice, when I put it on the cake, it’s a mess. Will writing in chocolate, letting it harden, then transferring to a BC cake work? My BC is 100% crisco based because of a dairy allergy in the family. I don’t know it that makes a difference 

7 replies
thecanadian160 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecanadian160 Posted 27 Apr 2018 , 5:21am
post #2 of 8

Works pretty good for me. I print out a mirror image of what ever script I am trying to replicate, put a piece of acetate paper over that and trace away. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 27 Apr 2018 , 4:40pm
post #3 of 8

idk -- writing with melted chocolate needs more expertise -- because depending on the temperature of the choco you have to write quicker or slower --

but I tell you this -- I have often written with pate choux -- cream puff dough -- If you use shortening it comes out whiter -- it's easy peasy to make -- it will store for several days -- you could make tiny batches and do the template thing like thecanadian160 recommends -- it would give a nice soft 3-d effect to the letters -- after it's baked it lasts forever -- not that you would use it after that long -- just saying could be made well in advance --

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 28 Apr 2018 , 5:52pm
post #4 of 8

There is a trick to using melted choco.  *Many!* yrs ago there was a great book out about chocolate artistry by (I think) Elaine Gonzolas (probably not spelled right).  She suggests adding with an eye dropper just a drop or 2 of water to thicken it up just enough to piping consistency and then using *very* small parchment bags so small that it holds maybe only a couple of tablespoons at most of the choco.      It will start to harden as it cools so keep changing them.    Best not to use a tip - just cut the parchment tip very slightly to keep it equal to about a #2 or 3 tip.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 30 Apr 2018 , 8:20pm
post #5 of 8

Just to update my previous answer - I know adding water to choco causes it to sieze (harden) but that's exactly what you want in this case.  It depends on the amount of choco being used as to how much water is added - you want just enough to make it thicken  slightly - so you can pipe it and it does not run out of the tip &/or spread ruining what you are trying to write.

-K8memphis Posted 30 Apr 2018 , 10:39pm
post #6 of 8

just for the record -- i've worked a lot with chocolate -- because it tastes so much better than royal for cookies -- i've never been able to add water to it without it seizing -- the way i control chocolate is by temperature -- you cover a heating pad with a layer of plastic wrap -- or put a small plate over a saucepan of hot water and keep your piping bag on it -- or a light few blasts of three to five seconds in the microwave -- either with the tip rolled shut or touching the surface of the plate --

using parchment you just clip the tip of the bag-- hold the tip of the bag closed -- and just massage the bag so the chocolate flows back & forth to re-distribute the heat and melt the tip so you can pipe --

-K8memphis Posted 30 Apr 2018 , 11:39pm
post #7 of 8

and pinch the tip of the bag so the choco gets pushed back up in there when you close up for the day -- or any time -- so there's no choco there at the tiny part getting hard -- fold the tip up -- see what i mean -- then back in the microwave or the hot pad or the plate covering the tip of the saucepan -- give it some time and it will all loosen up -- massage it back & forth as above 

-K8memphis Posted 1 May 2018 , 12:01am
post #8 of 8

elaine might have been piping with ganache or something that can take water but not chocolate -- it seizes

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%