Help! First Time Caker

Decorating By Sweetpqt4life Updated 26 Apr 2018 , 8:51pm by kakeladi

Sweetpqt4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetpqt4life Posted 25 Apr 2018 , 5:03am
post #1 of 4

Hey guys. So I’m making a cake for my friend’s baby shower. Problem is she’s in NY and I’m in FL and she wants a buttercream cake. With two tiers.  So my plan is to freeze and ship the tiers seperately hoping they get there in one piece. And I also plan to put the top tier on a dummy tier to make placing it on the bottom tier easier. My questions are:

1. Can you refrigerate or freeze a dummy cake with fondant paint with metallic edible paint?

2. When prepping for freezind and delivery, if I can freeze the dummy tier, can/ should I place the top tier on the dummy tier and wrap it together in cling wrap? (I hope I’m explaining this right)

3. And can I secure those two tiers, top and dummy, with a dowel or two? 

Thanks for any advice

3 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 25 Apr 2018 , 4:10pm
post #2 of 4

I would not touch this with a ten foot pole!  Buttercream is not stable when exposed to heat and you have absolutely no control over the conditions to which your cake will be exposed.  Even if you shipped it frozen for next day delivery (which would probably cost you$200 or more), it would be chancy.

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 25 Apr 2018 , 7:13pm
post #3 of 4

What Sandra said.  I would be a huge ball of nerves shipping a cake somewhere.  What if the cake gets there and is damaged beyond repair?  How will you fix it?  Will you have access to a kitchen to bake more cake and make more buttercream?

Honestly I would figure out how to bake and assemble the cake up in NY because shipping a cake just sounds like a disaster in the making, not to mention costly.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Apr 2018 , 8:51pm
post #4 of 4

I have worked mostly in b'cream - I definately would be VERY! leary of doing this :(.  it is a very tricky thing to attempt and probably very expensive.  Agree w/most of what the other 2 posters said :(   Will you be attending the shower  yourself?  OR is your friend going to put this cake together w/o you?     I'm thinking you should make it completely a dummy cake just for display and have her buy a 'plain sheet cake' locally to serve.  As the others said, there is no way any of knowing what conditions it will be subjected to and what damage in shipping will be fixable if you are not there.  A smallish cake (any size under 12" round or sq) will defrost in just a few hours so fzing it before shipping isn't really going to help much :(   But if you still insist on doing this - to answer your ?s - yes cake can be fzn - well I don't know about the paint part.   And yes, you can place real cake on a dummy w/doweling and wrap it well w/cling wrap.  Fix the cake board to the dummy w/a good dollop of icing *and* use a dowel or two. That dollow and the boarder on the real cake will help keep them together.   As to how many dowels -  it will depend on the sizes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%