Experiences Working With Fondarific Fondant?

Decorating By satindoll_101 Updated 25 Apr 2018 , 11:06pm by maybenot

satindoll_101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
satindoll_101 Posted 25 Apr 2018 , 1:41am
post #1 of 6

HI All,

I recently made a baptism cake for my twin girls and decided to try out Fondarific Buttercream Fondant instead of Satin Ice Fondant. I found in comparison to Satin Ice, Fondarific was much more pliable and flexible and rippled less as I slowly draped it over my cake. It also tasted great!!

Here's what I did notice though, and am wondering if you have found the same thing.

1) In comparison to other fondants (Wilton, Virgin Ice, Satin Ice), I found Fondarific super hard in the fridge. Like when I took out a slice of cake to cut the next day from the fridge it was really hard to cut through the frondant and tough (chewy) to bite through??

2) It also seemed more marmallowy at room temperature and I needed a sharp knife to cut through it. 

Just an observation from my experience, and wondering if anyone else has noticed this? 

I am debating on next trying Fondx. ....It was really the buttercream taste declaration of Fondarific fondant on the box  that won me over Fondx this time around.

5 replies
maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 25 Apr 2018 , 2:33am
post #2 of 6

Fondarific is not standard fondant.  It's candy melt based and contains few [if any] gums/drying agents.  It hardens when cold because of the candy melt ingredients.  That's why you need to nuke it a bit right out of the container.  It's more pliable, can be repaired with the heat of your hand, but it's also heavy and susceptible to heat.

Fondx is a fairly soft fondant, but it has a nice texture, doesn't crust as quickly as some, and tastes great.

My "ideal" fondant is a mixture of Fondarific and the old recipe Wilton [the new stuff is pretty much Fondx].  Now, I still prefer Fondarific mixed with Satin Ice or Wilton at a 2:1 ratio.

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 25 Apr 2018 , 3:11pm
post #3 of 6

I love the taste of Fondarific, but hated covering my cake with it. It was too soft and tore like no other, regardless of how thick or thin I rolled it. I also found that their red and white were really hard in the containers, the red was a crumbly mess, so I returned it, but the next container was the same way. I will just use it to make decorations lol I just might try maybenot's idea and mix it with Wilton. 

WYBee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WYBee Posted 25 Apr 2018 , 5:14pm
post #4 of 6

I have had trouble with the fondarific in every color other than white. White seems somewhat okay, but every other color I've gotten is hard and crumbly with chunks that wouldn't soften no matter what I do. The white is generally pliable but it goes from rock hard to too soft in no time at all. It's hard to strike that balance between just right and looking/feeling oily.

I've been working with some recipes for homemade fondant to use instead. The kind made with marshmallows is a little too spongy feeling for me (I could have done something wrong)

satindoll_101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
satindoll_101 Posted 25 Apr 2018 , 8:51pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks for your input all.

I didn't know it was made from candy melts! That could explain a lot of things. 

How is it susceptible to heat? Does it melt or get sticky? I live in Canada and I made the cake this past weekend when the temperature "warmed" up to 15C. But the restaurant temp was probably 21C.

I did find it super hard right out of the container. Because I don't have a microwave I just broke it into little pieces (that were crumbly) and kneaded it together in my hand until it softened into a ball. that I was able to roll out. 

I've seen forum posts where people raved about Fondarific so thought I'd try it out. I have also seen forum posts raving about Fondx so that was my next fondant to try.

Note--I have used Wilton before and didn't really mind it except that most people didn't like the taste of it.

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 25 Apr 2018 , 11:06pm
post #6 of 6

Since candy melts are "fake chocolate", Fondarific acts the same way.  Regular fondant doesn't actually melt at high temps, it only gets soft.  Fondarific will actually melt.  Mixing it with regular fondant helps mitigate this, too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%