How Do You Make These Roses?

Sugar Work By CupoSgrPnchoLve Updated 25 Apr 2018 , 6:40pm by CupoSgrPnchoLve

CupoSgrPnchoLve Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupoSgrPnchoLve Posted 18 Apr 2018 , 7:04pm
post #1 of 14

I'm not sure this is the correct forum, but does anyone know what to use to make these roses sandwiched between the macaron cookies?  I would think that buttercream would be too soft, right? What about a crusting buttercream? Or royal icing? I'd prefer to use a medium that tastes good too. No automatic alt text available.

13 replies
sewsugarqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsugarqueen Posted 18 Apr 2018 , 7:25pm
post #2 of 14

It looks like a crusting/very firm buttercream using a "russian" style tip.... they must let them dry a few hours and then put the top on.

post #3 of 14

It looks like a crusting/very firm buttercream using a "russian" style tip.... they must let them dry a few hours and then put the top on.

post #4 of 14

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 Apr 2018 , 9:07pm
post #5 of 14

I agree - it's most likely a stiff consistency b'cream.  I don't think a 'russian' style tip was used - just heavy pressure through a 102 maybe (since it looks to be very small inside those cookies) & stiff b'c.  You can use the Wilton b'c recipe using 1/2 shortening & 1/2 butter then no added liquid.  It depends on how much you want to hurt your hand as to how much, if any liquid you add.  Do you want the edges to crack like shown?   Just increase the flavoring at least double what the recipe calls for. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Apr 2018 , 10:18pm
post #6 of 14

yes I too think those are nail made roses -- piped petal by petal like lynne said

wntrdove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wntrdove Posted 18 Apr 2018 , 10:58pm
post #7 of 14

These have been all over my instagram lately and as a result I've started following the artist that the ball rolling.

https://www.instagram.com/ayseyamanbutikpasta/

She mentions that you can use any buttercream (and I think she mentions that she, herself, uses an smbc.) She is using a 101/101s/59s tip. What you can't see from the photo you posted (though you can on other photos) is that inside the ring of roses there is a good dollop of buttercream or ganache to provide structure for holding up the macaron shell.

She's also started playing with cherry blossoms and daisies and they look really neat.

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 18 Apr 2018 , 11:58pm
post #8 of 14

Yep, I was going to say that I would use a higher amount of icing inside that ring of 'roses' to hole the macaron shells up off them, that way the weight wont be crushing them at all, I think I would also cheat and use a piping tip that produces that rose..... but my piping skills are non existent lol.

-K8memphis Posted 19 Apr 2018 , 12:24am
post #9 of 14

a 101s has an eighth of an inch opening -- that's some kinda tiny rose

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 19 Apr 2018 , 2:40am
post #10 of 14

I would make them on a toothpick with a very tiny petal tip.

CupoSgrPnchoLve Posted 19 Apr 2018 , 1:01pm
post #11 of 14

Thank you everyone!  This really helps.  My piping skills are also not great, but I guess this is a good way to practice.  SMBC seems like it would be so soft though. Even if the macaron shell wasn't lying on the rose, wouldn't the rose collapse on the side simply from the weight of itself?  @wntrdove do you have a website where the originator describes technique?All I see on her instagram page are beautiful photos, but no coaching lol.

-K8memphis Posted 19 Apr 2018 , 2:06pm
post #12 of 14

i would use all butter american icing made with cream for the roses -- maybe you could combine with some meringue icing but they're so dang small -- i'd just use the abc

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 19 Apr 2018 , 9:53pm
post #13 of 14

i agree with all that says stiff American  buttercream. not SMBC nor IMBC . Each petal made seperately. Like the famous Wilton rose

CupoSgrPnchoLve Posted 25 Apr 2018 , 6:40pm
post #14 of 14

After some digging, I found this video.  Agree with all above that I would still stick with ABC which would be more stable for transport, although if I were serving as soon as I made, I may go with the SMBC since it tastes better.  https://www.indulgewithmimi.com/the-best-swiss-meringue-buttercream-for-macarons-cakes-321-ratio/

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%