Wedding Cupcakes.....the Frosting Conundrum...

Decorating By kbutler247 Updated 20 Apr 2018 , 3:58am by me_me1

kbutler247 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbutler247 Posted 18 Apr 2018 , 4:48pm
post #1 of 5

Hi ya'll,, long time hobby baker here who was asked by my cousin to do cupcakes for her wedding...even though I have read many a forum, I am still quite nervous about the best frosting options.

To set the scene, its an outdoor wedding, weather will be sunny and 70 degrees no humidity (San Diego) The cupcakes will be refrigerated until the reception, cupcakes will be served about 2 hours after they are taken out but I imagine some will sit there for the remainder of the reception. Its a late afternoon wedding so the cupcakes will be out around 4, and the whole wedding will be done by 9 so they wont be out in the heat of the day. 

Any tried an true recipes for me? 

My preference when usually doing cupcakes is half butter half cream cheese. I am thinking I will sub the cream cheese for the special shortening and add cream cheese flavor. Here are my questions...

I am still nervous they will hold up, I am nervous about sweating although I have yet to have that personally be a problem. I am also nervous about the ratios, it seems when I use the 'proper' sugar to butter/shortening ratio the frosting is very thick...but when I use less sugar the piping bag gets really greasey which makes me nervous that the frosting is too greasey, although it doesn't seem to be.

The idea of using all shortening grosses me out but I will do it if I have to. I don't like the idea of using flour (just haven't done it but that idea grosses me out too). Considering its milder temps (not summer in Mississippi) what's the best route?

Any advice greatly appreciated, I have had nightmares about making everyone sick because of some bad frosting so here I am all paranoid looking for tips. At my wedding my friend made us cream cheese frosted cupcakes and they sat out for a long while and we were all fine but like I said I am paranoid. 

Please help your fellow newbie wedding baker. Thanks in advance everyone!!! 

4 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Apr 2018 , 5:06pm
post #2 of 5

I use all butter in my icings --

question for you -- for a july 4th picnic -- would you plan on leaving baked goods sit out for five hours? I would not -- I would keep them in plastic or something -- so people can reach in -- just because it's a wedding doesn't mean all our standards go out the window --

you could incorporate some kind of tent type little dooey to drape over the table or something -- needs to be kept out of the sun/wind and protected from insects and flying things -- whole different ball game imo

I never had any trouble explaining to brides that an outdoor reception changes everything -- I say the cake has two functions to be the focal point for the reception and to be eaten -- you forfeit most of the focal point part by having it outside -- the hold time out there is shortened by the circumstances of the day -- as a result the bride can purchase a lesser cake too -- but that's a choice for them to make --

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Apr 2018 , 5:12pm
post #3 of 5

*circumstances of the day -- i mean the weather -- and how they arrange the venue

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 Apr 2018 , 9:17pm
post #4 of 5

I have used this recipe in central CA w/o problems https://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/22469/2-icing   Make it crust as explained at the end of the recipe directions and you should not have a problem :)

me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 20 Apr 2018 , 3:58am
post #5 of 5

I use all butter in my frostings and I usually use SMBC (or ganache) to frost wedding cuppies/cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%