Grooms Cake

Baking By Julieluz Updated 18 Apr 2018 , 12:58am by SandraSmiley

Julieluz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Julieluz Posted 16 Apr 2018 , 10:38pm
post #1 of 4

I’m going to a wedding 12 hours away, and I was asked to make the groom’s cake.  My question is should I premake the cake and icing, and assemble in El Paso or should I take all my equipment and make everything over there?  I’m leaving 3 days before the wedding.  What will be the best way to keep everything fresh and how would I transport if I premake. Again I will decorate/ asemble has in El Paso.  I really don’t want to take my equipment. Please help. 

Thanks

3 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 16 Apr 2018 , 10:39pm
post #2 of 4

what kind of cake and icing are you using?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Apr 2018 , 10:47pm
post #3 of 4

As K8 mentions it will depend on what recipes you are using.   Overall if you are using American b'cream &/or fondant you should not have any problems.  As for how to keep it -depending on the fillings used you might be able to  make the tiers ahead and fz of course well wrapped.  Transport in a cooler to help keep them cold as possible as long as possible on the drive.   Once at the location again fz until the night before you want to work on them.   If there is no way to fz them then just keep them  well wrapped in the frig so they are cold.   If you don't have a cooler big enough for them, make one by using packing boxes the size you need for the biggest tier  and one several inches bigger than the other.  Put the cakes & icing in the smaller one then Pack fzn bags of ice all around  between the 2 boxes.  Wrap it all  in towels or blanket or maybe a sleeping bag!  Fz the bags of water/ice several days ahead so they are very solid and will last longer.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 18 Apr 2018 , 12:58am
post #4 of 4

I have used the method of a homemade cooler as kakeladi recommended and it works wonderfully.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%